PDA

View Full Version : Kildare Stray - LINDSAY

Sue Mackay
25-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Can't see a Kildare forum so will post this here.

Found in the South African Commercial Advertiser for 4 January 1834

DIED at Liesbeck Cottage, Rondebosch on the 16th Dec, Philip York LINDSAY Esq, Bengal Civil Service, second son of the Lord Bishop of Kildare.

Lilly
20-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Hi Sue
Can you elaborate a little more?

Sue Mackay
20-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Sorry, no. I have South African ancestry and am doing my bit to put something back into the pot by photographing and transcribing BMD announcements from original Cape newspapers held at the National Archives in Kew. I know nothing more than what is in the announcements. Rondebosch is in Cape Town. Those employed in the Civil Service in India often stopped at the Cape on their journey to or from India.

Lilly
20-07-2008, 9:04 PM
Thank you.

Just curious from the fact that Ireland is mostly a catholic country and no official clergy families.
However the time was when we were under British rule the I expect the Bishop was Church of Ireland.

bumblebee
20-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Just putting this because of the names mentioned.

Captain James Lyndsay of the Grenadier Guards was married by the Honourable and Right Rev. Lord Bishop of Kildare, at St Georges Church, Hanover Square, eldest son of the honourable Robert Lyndsay of Balcarres, to Anne eldest daughter of Sir Coutts Trotter, of Grovesnor Square. (April 3rd 1823)

Bumblebee

bumblebee
20-07-2008, 11:20 PM
The Lord Bishop of Kildare seems to have a lot of mentions to do with the Church Education Society in Ireland.

Bumblebee

bumblebee
20-07-2008, 11:41 PM
The representative Bishop(s) of Ireland 1845

The Lord Bishop of Kildare is Charles Dalrymple Lyndsay, He is 85 in 1845 the oldest man on the Irish Episcopal Branch. He was above middle height, of dark complexion and in his younger years had great physical strength and activity. He is the third son of the fifth earl of Balcarres. He married in 1790 to Elizabeth Fydell, who died 7 years later and in 1798 to Catherine Eliza Coussmaker. A son and a daughter surviving by the first wife and two sons by the second. His eldest son is the Archbishop of Kildare.

So presumably the son that died was from the second wife, (which ties in with second son) but sorry no further mention of his death.

Bumblebee

bumblebee
20-07-2008, 11:55 PM
May 17th 1852 the Hon. Catherine Eliza Lyndsay relict of the Hon. Charles Lyndsay D D Lord Bishop of Kildare, died at Glasnevin House, Dublin in her 92nd year.

Bumblebee

bumblebee
21-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Debretts has him as Philip Yorke, born 23rd July 1802, Secretary of Legation at Rio De La Plata.

Bumblebee