PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo! Slurp Spider

Mutley
25-10-2007, 12:28 AM
Can someone please explain who Yahoo! Slurp Spiders are, there are a few other varieties of spiders on line tonight. More of them than us :confused:

browntoa
25-10-2007, 7:53 AM
SLURP crawls websites, scans their contents and meta tags, and travels down the links contained on the page. It then brings back information for the search engine to index. Yahoo SLURP 2.0 stores the full text of the page it crawls in its memory and then returns to Yahoo’s searchable database. This is one of the semi-unique points of Yahoo SLURP; not all search engine crawlers store the entire text of the pages they crawl

Mutley
25-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Thank you, I think I understand the principle, is it that they are necessary if we want to use an Internet search engine and get results?

but do we regard them as

Good guys or Bad guys?

browntoa
26-10-2007, 10:50 AM
good guys, means people see the information on the forum

Mutley
26-10-2007, 1:52 PM
Thanks

There are just over 450 members and guests on board at the moment and 266 are spiders!!

We must be a very interesting bunch on here:D

Sue Mackay
26-10-2007, 2:02 PM
Thanks

There are just over 450 members and guests on board at the moment and 266 are spiders!!

We must be a very interesting bunch on here:D

Course we are! As long as the spiders remain slurping away on the forum and don't try to play in the dust in my house I don't care :D

On a serious note, I have benefitted in the past from people seeing my posts via Google and contacting me with vital information, so these are definitely good spiders.

Not like that Spider game on the computer that has got hubby addicted.... |shakehead

Jo Simpsons
26-10-2007, 2:51 PM
I have no idea what they are or where you see them |oopsredfa
Could someone tell me please?
Jo :)

Sue Mackay
26-10-2007, 3:07 PM
SLURP crawls websites, scans their contents and meta tags, and travels down the links contained on the page. It then brings back information for the search engine to index. Yahoo SLURP 2.0 stores the full text of the page it crawls in its memory and then returns to Yahoo’s searchable database. This is one of the semi-unique points of Yahoo SLURP; not all search engine crawlers store the entire text of the pages they crawl

Have quoted this from above for Jo's benefit ;);)

As to how you see them, when you go into Who's Online (via Quick Links) you see all the members who are on line listed first, followed by all the guests and "Spiders" and which threads they are looking at. Basically it's how people find these threads when using search engines.

Neil Wilson
26-10-2007, 3:09 PM
I have no idea what they are or where you see them |oopsredfa
Could someone tell me please?
Jo :)Jo
Use this link http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/online.php?sort=username&order=asc&pp=20&page=6 and you will see the spiders, unless there lots of us members on, then just pick a page greater than this.
Neil

Jo Simpsons
26-10-2007, 3:12 PM
Thanks Sue and Neil. :)
I'd never heard of them before, now I know!
Jo :)