PDA

View Full Version : Mr NATHAN's tragic fire

Ladkyis
28-11-2004, 10:39 AM
I learnt of this tragedy because of the work of Doreen Berger who has collected items from Jewish newspapers into two volumes called "The Jewish Victorian 1871-1880" and "The Jewish Victorian 1861-1870". I would probably not have found this information if it hadn't been for her - my profound thanks.

“About a quarter past nine o’clock last night (Sunday) a fire was discovered to have broken out on the premises of Mr NATHAN, Furniture Broker, London Road. Although the Brigade and fire escape were promptly at the scene it was with greatest difficulty Mr NATHAN’s children – five in number – could be rescued. One of them was severely cut while being pulled through a window and had to be attended by Mr Waring, surgeon. One of the daughters lost her life. In her fright she ran downstairs and into the area. Her escape through the house was soon cut off by the fierceness of the flames; although the firemen used resolute exertions to remove the iron grating which protected the area, they found it impossible to do so. Her shrieks and cries for help were heartrending. The large crowd which assembled were wrought up in a state of excitement. Mr & Mrs NATHAN were absent, and arrived home in time to find their house in ruins. The origin of the fire is not known. Daily Telegraph 8. Sept 1865."