PDA

View Full Version : Whither after finding an item in FreeBMD index?

BobHickling
24-10-2007, 4:19 AM
So, I've found a marriage in the FreeBMD index, but what do I do with the volume and page number it gave me? (I'm not very experienced in poking around on this side of the pond.)

Procat
24-10-2007, 6:02 AM
Hi Bob,

You can use it to purchase the certificate from here:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

You will also need the Quarter and District relating to the entry you found.

Pam Downes
24-10-2007, 8:24 AM
Hi Bob,
Before ordering the certificate, it's best to check that the details in the FreeBMD transcription are correct. If the district name is in italics then you must check the transcription because there is an error.
If there is a small spectacles symbol at the side of the entry, click on this and follow the links.
If there is no symbol, then a free but slightly 'clicky' way to check is to 'view images' via FreeBMD.
http://images.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/choose.pl
You eventually get to 'choose a page number' from a drop-down list. If you think logically you can reduce the number of page searches, and even get it down to a fine art. :) I've just done a test on Hickling deaths June quarter 1852. Had a choice of pages 0358 to 0605. No idea where Hickling is likely to come, so opted for an almost middle number - 0480 - and by the most amazing of coincidences struck gold first time. :D
Just to prove it was no fluke, try it with Hickling marriages for June quarter 1864, and marriages June 1880 and see how many pages you are away from the middle number each time.
Sometimes the FreeBMD image is poor so you still need to check via another source. There are several subscription sites, but you are supposed to be able to view them for free via A......y.co.uk.
Finally, always make sure that you order what it says in the Index. If the name is spelt Fredk, then don't spell it Frederick else you'll be charged four quid for the GRO to tell you that they don't have that record! :eek:
Pam

uksearch
24-10-2007, 12:18 PM
BIG SNIP

Finally, always make sure that you order what it says in the Index. If the name is spelt Fredk, then don't spell it Frederick else you'll be charged four quid for the GRO to tell you that they don't have that record! :eek:
Pam

That's why I always try to purchase via a local register office county bmd group.

UK