PDA

View Full Version : Witley Parish Church-Help!

jacval
23-10-2007, 6:42 PM
My 4x.g.grandfather was born at Witley Worcs c.1772(According to IGI death/burial entry)
This does seem possible as he was married at Lindridge + children bapt.at Pensax + wife
poss.bapt.at Abberley.
I am searching for his baptism,can anyone help with name of church please.

Thankyou
Jackie.

Jan1954
23-10-2007, 7:48 PM
Hello Jackie |wave|

Now, are we talking Little Witley or Great Witley here?

There is a small chapel at Little Witley but the big baroque one is at Great Witley. It used to be dedicated to Holy Trinity but changed along the way to St Michael and All Angels.

Some great information about it may be found here:

http://www.greatwitleychurch.org.uk

Jan

Lottie
24-10-2007, 2:32 AM
Jackie

St Michael's and All Angels is the name church at Great Witley, also the of the Chapelry at Little Witley.
I have BMSGH Transcripts of both sets of Registers ( covering that date ) - and could search for Baptism you require, if that would help.

Lottie
Downunder

jacval
24-10-2007, 8:46 AM
Jan
Thankyou for the info + link.

Lottie
I would greatly appreciate a look-up for Johns baptism,thankyou very much for
your kind offer.
Jackie.

jeeb
24-10-2007, 1:45 PM
Jackie,

You haven't told us John's surname. If you respond to this reply soon I will tell you if he is baptised in either Little or Great Witley.

Jeremy

jacval
24-10-2007, 2:31 PM
How stupid of me!!!!! His name-John Williams

Jackie.

jeeb
24-10-2007, 2:54 PM
Sorry then Jackie but there is no baptisms to any Williams in either Witley registers between 1770 & 1775.

Williams does not appear in Little Witley until 1815 but there are numerous entries in Great Witney from as early as 1542.

Jeremy

jacval
24-10-2007, 3:08 PM
Jeremy
Thankyou for looking, I think that I'll have to consider parishes that are near to
Witley.
Again,many thanks for your help.
Jackie.

Lottie
24-10-2007, 9:52 PM
Jackie

Have checked St Peter's MARTLEY and St Martin's HOLT for 1770 - 1780 , several WILLIAMS Baptised, but no John!

Lottie
Downunder

jeeb
24-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Hi Jackie,

This baptism is quite close to Witley:-

John son of Richard & Susanna Williams. 27 Jan 1773 at Grimley

Jeremy

jeeb
24-10-2007, 11:23 PM
Hi Jackie,

This baptism is interesting when it is followed up by a burial in Great Witley.

John son of William & Ann Williams 16 Feb 1772 at Dodderhill baptised.
Ann Williams aged 55 of Elmley Lovett bur at Great Witley 14 Jan 1811.

Dodderhill & Elmley Lovett are bordering parishes near Droitwich Worcestershire

Jeremy

jacval
25-10-2007, 8:20 PM
Thanks again Lottie, for taking the time to look.

Jeremy thankyou- both baptisms look very interesting-the 1st at Grimley with parents
Richard + SusannahThere was a Sus.Wlms bapt.at Pensax 1817 parents John+Mary(a possible daug.of my John,named after g.mother?)but,rather a large gap between bapts of
my John's Children(13yrs) not going to dismiss this though.
2nd bapt + burial also interesting.
These are the names of John's children (that I know of so far) William-John-Thomas
+Benjamin, hope I'm not being too forward in asking if you could see if the two sets of
parents in the baptisms you found have children with those names,they may have been
named after John's brothers.

Jackie.

jeeb
25-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Hi Jackie,
Nothing concrete I'm afraid. There are no other children baptised that I can see in Grimley to Richard & Susannah.

William Williams baptised in Dodderhill 4 Feb 1770 son of William & Nancy Williams.

Jeremy

jacval
26-10-2007, 5:25 PM
Jeremy

Never mind, grateful for the help you have already given.

Jackie.

t@nya
20-06-2009, 5:21 AM
I don't know whether you've found any more information on your Williams family, but I suspect that the William Williams and John Williams who were baptised (the sons of William and Ann/Nancy) are members of a family I'm tracing.

I've found a baptism (submitted not extracted) of a Mary Williams baptised 11 September 1768 at Dodderhill, daughter of William Williams and Nancy. I have a strong suspicion that she is my 4 x great grandmother, Molly Williams, who married William Tickle (my 4 x great grandfather) 20 August 1764 at Hampton Lovett. I'm hoping to get some more information about that when the microfiche transcriptions of the Dodderhill parish registers I've ordered arrive (possibly in a couple of weeks).

It would be great if we're researching the same family as, up until this point, I haven't had many clues about the Williams family. :)

jacval
22-06-2009, 8:16 AM
Hello Tanya

No, I have'nt got any further back.
Do any of your Wlm's have a connection to the Lindridge + Pensax areas of Worcs.
John was married at Lindridge + the children were baptised at Pensax, the only other
thing I can add, is that the males all appear to be miners.

Jackie

jeeb
22-06-2009, 8:33 AM
Hello Tanya

Do any of your Wlm's have a connection to the Lindridge + Pensax areas of Worcs.
John was married at Lindridge + the children were baptised at Pensax, the only other

Jackie

Hi Jackie,
If you have not seen this before you may like to read this:-

http://www.worcesterpeopleandplaces.com/articles/article-158-15-15.asp

Jeremy

t@nya
22-06-2009, 8:55 AM
Hello Tanya

Jackie

I haven't found a connection to either place, yet, but I have to admit that I've barely started my Williams line. It was only last year that I finally found the marriage of George Tickle and Molly Williams. I've ordered transcriptions of the Dodderhill baptisms, marriages, and burials and I suspect that my Williams come from there so, when it arrives, I'm hoping to get a lot more work done on that line. If I find any mention of either of those places, I'll let know.

t@nya
25-06-2009, 8:58 AM
Jacval, in the quest for my own Williams I've made a chronological list of all Williams entries for Droitwich (St Peter and St Andrew) using the IGI and also microfiche transcriptions of the St Peter de Witton, Dodderhill, and Hampton Lovett parish registers, and a Williams headstone from St Augustine, Dodderhill (I found a photograph of this on the Internet).

If you're interested, I'd be happy to email you a copy of this. :)