PDA

View Full Version : SPEDDING AND CRELLIN FAMILIES IN CUMBRIA

Deebee
13-10-2007, 5:44 PM
Hi I am Dorothy maiden name Crellin . I have been working on my ancestors for a couple of years now and realise that the more you find out the more you want to know . I am very interested in their lives more than just dates . Both the SPEDDING and CRELLIN families go back for at least 5 generations in Cumberland . The CRELLINS are all from the Camerton/Broughton Moor area and most were coal miners. However I have hit a brick wall with the SPEDDINGS .

I am trying to find MATTHEW SPEDDING born approx. 1786 in ULPHA and his wife MARY born approx.1786. I have no maiden name for Mary .On 1841 Census they lived at MILLYEAT ARLECDON and he was a Corn Miller .I have found 5 sons one of them my G.G.Grandfather ,he was John born 1810 - his brothers were Abel born 1813 ,William born 1815 , Isaac born 1819, James born 1825 All were christened at Arlecdon church .They all worked as Millers /Farmers except William who was a Sea Captain. Matthew retired to live with his son Abel late 1850s at 7 Church St. St Bees.Able was a Butcher/Farmer. Matthew died 1864. Mary died 1858.

Hope someone can help . Enjoyed reading many of your comments and advice . Cheers !!!!!!!!!

jurajtkac
03-11-2007, 3:38 PM
Dorothy,
May I please inquire if there is a Mary Agnes Titterington Crellin in your tree? She was born Jan 1898 in Bootle and supposedly married a CRELLIN there about 1930.
~ Juraj / Pittsburgh

Geoff Everitt
03-11-2007, 8:20 PM
Matt SPEDDING's age on the 1851 census was 68, suggesting a birth 1782/3. You may wish to consider the baptism in Seathwaite (a couple of miles from Ulpha) 15 Dec 1782, Matthew SPEDDING, son of Matthew.

Deebee
04-11-2007, 3:20 PM
Many thanks Geoff . Yes this is the Matthew I was looking for . I have now been able to trace a couple of Generations back and have found his Mothers name was Dinah Vicars . I have now traced a couple of generations for her .
Great help .