PDA

View Full Version : Jun.Rom.Cund.

Sue Mackay
22-10-2007, 8:35 PM
Have just transcribed the following death notice. Does anyone know what Jun.Rom.Cund. stands for?

To relatives and friends, notice is hereby given that my son, Hendrik FLECK, Jun.Rom.Cund. and Member of the Inner Temple, departed this life at Leyden on the 14th August last at the age of 19 years 5 months and 22 days.
J.C. FLECK
Cape Town Nov 6 1833

Mutley
22-10-2007, 9:48 PM
I wonder if Jun. is the obvious abbreviation for Junior ??

Maybe Rom.Cund is an abbreviation to do with his position possibly as a barrister.

There are contact emails and telephone numbers here, it may be worth asking them.
http://www.innertemplelibrary.org.uk/welcome.htm

Mutley
22-10-2007, 10:03 PM
In Anglo Saxon "Cund" is something to do with kind, type or race.

Was he a Romanian?

Sue Mackay
22-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Worth a try. Thanks.

Colin Moretti
23-10-2007, 8:49 AM
I would guess that he was a Boer (S Africa, Leyden), and in any case I would have thought that 19 was rather young to be a barrister (although I'm no expert on lawyerly matters).

My first reaction was that he was a member of a masonic lodge of some sort; where did the death notice appear?

Colin

Sue Mackay
23-10-2007, 10:28 AM
I am transcribing BMDs from the South African Commercial Advertiser (after taking oodles of photographs at Kew) and posting them on a SA mailing list. As I sometimes get "What's that?" messages back after unusual entries I thought to forestall any questions by asking you knowledgeable lot. As it happens I forgot about it when I finished the batch and posted them anyway, and no queries have come back from South Africa so far. It's probably a Dutch abbreviation. Will let you know if I ever find out what it means!

Sue Mackay
25-10-2007, 9:46 AM
Have just had the following explanation from a lister which sounds likely, especially as the newspaper often did make typesetting errors.

"The Inner Temple did take in students who were not necessarily Law
students - in some instances it was often looked on as a type of finishing
school for young men.....usually from wealthy families, and 19 would
certainly not have been considered young for a Student in the early 1800's.
Rules and regulations re admission and educational qualifications required
changed considerably over the years - but it is quite possible that this
young man was studying Law - and the Jun. Rom. Cund may possible be a
reference to the study of Roman Law as opposed to Roman Dutch ( is it
possible that Cund. is a mistranscription of Cand meaning Candidate?)"

AnnB
25-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Hello Sue

Just a thought, but would it be worth contacting the Law Society http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/home.law to see if they can give you a definitive answer?

Best wishes
Ann