PDA

View Full Version : What would a Carman(?) have done?

gorgeousgirl68
18-10-2007, 12:53 PM
My G Grandfather Sidney Neighbour is on his marriage licence, in 1900, occupation, CARMAN. Somebody suggested that it my be that he worked on the trams?? Unless we've read it wrong, although, I dont think so. They were living in Camberwell, London, at the time.
Anyone have the answer, or any ideas please?
Cheryl

Karen Newman
18-10-2007, 1:04 PM
From Genuki - Occupations

'CARMAN
See CARRIER'

'CARRIER
A person who drove a vehicle used to transport goods'

Originally, a horse and cart, and then motorised transport.

Several of my ancestors were carmen (employed as opposed to be employers).

AnnB
18-10-2007, 1:08 PM
A carman usually drove a horse drawn cart for transporting goods around - our ancestors equivalent to 'white van man' ;)

For a good site to check old occupations see http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/index.html

Best wishes
Ann

(You beat me to it Karen!!)

gorgeousgirl68
18-10-2007, 1:16 PM
Wow thanks very much guys!! thats fantastic.
Regards
Cheryl
(BRILL!!)

Davran
18-10-2007, 4:04 PM
[quote=AnnB;116366] - our ancestors equivalent to 'white van man' ;)

quote]

Oh Ann, that made me laugh. :D I have visions of carts careering hell-for-leather round corners and cutting up sedate carriages, causing a lot of swearing and general mayhem (....only joking, any white van drivers on this forum ;))

AnnB
18-10-2007, 5:37 PM
Oh Ann, that made me laugh. :D I have visions of carts careering hell-for-leather round corners and cutting up sedate carriages, causing a lot of swearing and general mayhem (....only joking, any white van drivers on this forum ;))

Well you know what they say Davran, nothing's new |biggrin|

And I never thought that there might be any 'white van men' on the forum..........|blush|

Best wishes
Ann

uksearch
18-10-2007, 8:00 PM
[quote=AnnB;116366] - our ancestors equivalent to 'white van man' ;)

quote]

Recently I have many cases of men being sent to prison for being drunk whilst in charge of a horse and cart. This would be in the 1860 to 1880 period. So it's not so wide of the mark at all;).

UK