PDA

View Full Version : James Hart/Seamus O'hAirt

Jan1954
17-10-2007, 8:26 PM
Hello all.

I'm trying to find my grandfather's family.

He was born (possibly) Seamus O'hAirt on 06 Feb 1893 or 1894, and left home at the age of 17, which would be about 1910. When he arrived in England, he changed his name to James Hart. I've always been led to believe that he was born in the Rathmines area of Dublin, but this could just be where he lived as a child.

When James and my gran married in England in 1929, his father was recorded as Patrick Hart, Master Builder.

Family lore also says that James and his family split under acrimonious circumstances and he never went back to Ireland.

If anyone is able to offer advice, guidance, long-lost cousin, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks,

Jan

harfin
18-10-2007, 7:26 AM
He was born (possibly) Seamus O'hAirt on 06 Feb 1893 or 1894, and left home at the age of 17, which would be about 1910. When he arrived in England, he changed his name to James Hart. I've always been led to believe that he was born in the Rathmines area of Dublin, but this could just be where he lived as a child.When James and my gran married in England in 1929, his father was recorded as Patrick Hart, Master Builder.

Hi Jan

As it happens my Dad was a James Hart but not the one you are looking for (well I don't think so anyway)! :D

My James was born in Ramsgate in Kent in 1895 the son of another James Hart born in Folkestone in Kent who was in turn the son of John Hart who was also born in Folkestone. They were all fishermen, up to my dad.

As you no doubt have already found out, HART is a fairly common surname in England and the challenges of finding records in Eire are legend (as I know only too well due to my Grandad James marrying an Irish lass with the surname Hynes)

Like me you are probably waiting patiently for the 1911 census to come on-line (I can't afford the current pre-launch search options through TNA alas!)

Good luck with your search
Regards

Alan Hart

Jan1954
18-10-2007, 7:02 PM
Thanks for the response, Alan.

Yes, my breath is bated waiting for 1911 to come out! I'll probably find that he's there under a completely different name and it wasn't Rathmines at all|banghead| You know what these ancestors are like for telling stories...

I was also told that he had visited America at some stage. Have looked through passenger lists but there are more James Harts than you can shake a stick at! Ho, hum...

Fingers crossed for 1911, eh?

All the best,

Jan

harfin
19-10-2007, 1:07 PM
He was born (possibly) Seamus O'hAirt on 06 Feb 1893 or 1894, and left home at the age of 17, which would be about 1910. When he arrived in England, he changed his name to James Hart. I've always been led to believe that he was born in the Rathmines area of Dublin, but this could just be where he lived as a child.Jan

Jan

I assume you have seen the IGI entry on the Mormons site? There's a James Hart born 06 FEB 1894 at Rathmines, Dublin, Ireland. I know it's an LDS member entry, but the date is identical to that which you nominated.
Entry says James married a Louisa Goldsmith 3 Oct 1929 at St Albans. Following the link to the wife may yield something verifiable.

Regards
Alan

Jan1954
19-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Alan - you star!|hug| I hadn't seen this at all.

I made the assumption that the Mormon site was 19th century and before. I only hope that they haven't just "lifted" my tree and slapped it in.

I will check it out and get back to you.

Thanks again,

Jan

Jan1954
19-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Alan - not good news, I'm afraid. |shakehead Someone has definitely lifted the information from my tree and entered it. I have mine on Rootsweb, so that could be the answer.

Ho, hum....

Thanks for trying, anyway. I appreciate it.

Jan

harfin
20-10-2007, 9:37 PM
Alan - not good news, I'm afraid. |shakehead Someone has definitely lifted the information from my tree and entered it. I have mine on Rootsweb, so that could be the answer. Ho, hum.... Thanks for trying, anyway. I appreciate it. Jan

Hi Jan

I've heard before that such "appropriation" is not uncommon with LDS member entries, :cool: but I'd not heard any concrete evidence before. I cannot see any other entries of the same people on the Mormon's Ancestral File entries either, so presumably one couldn't easily establish who'd done the deed!

Sorry 'bout the false alarm!

Alan

Jan1954
28-12-2007, 12:31 PM
[/I]Like me you are probably waiting patiently for the 1911 census to come on-line [I](I can't afford the current pre-launch search options through TNA alas!)

Alan Hart

Hi Alan,

I know that I was offline for about 4 weeks but whilst I wasn't looking, they brought out the 1911 census online! Fully serachable for Dublin, it can be found at:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Still no trace of the old grandfather, though. Blasted fella changed his name!|banghead|

Jan

harfin
28-12-2007, 8:26 PM
Thanks for that Jan. I need to get to the 1911 for UK though, as my Frances Hines or Hynes (possibly Kathleen if her marriage entry is right) was in London by 1911 married to my GF.

Can't afford the cost for the TNA to get the entry for me!

Kindest regards
Alan