PDA

View Full Version : 1851 Census Help

jabscrooby
17-10-2007, 7:52 PM
Has anyone access to the 1851 census and can help me to find an entry that is not on Ancestry but is on other sites.
Sarah Scruby aged 30 living at Bedwell Park Essendon, Hatfield district.
I would like to know any details of her and the household as I have been trying to find her for many months.
Thank you.

Clive Blackaby
17-10-2007, 8:13 PM
Hi jabscrooby!
Can you give us any more detail?? Do the other sites give folio references. I'll gladly do a bit of rooting round for you, but the more info you can give the better. I'd be prepared to bet it's on Ancestry somewhere, but I suspect their transcription was done in Asia somewhere
Clive

Elley
17-10-2007, 8:33 PM
Hi jabscrooby,

I have found Sarah living in Bedwell Park Mansion as a Cook Servant.

I do not know if I can post the link, but if you type Bedwell Park Mansion into Google you will find the transcribed entry from the 2% 1851 census. Sarah has the name Jeruby?

Hope this may help.

Regards,

Elley

Clive Blackaby
17-10-2007, 8:42 PM
Hi jabscrooby,

I have found Sarah living in Bedwell Park Mansion as a Cook Servant.

I do not know if I can post the link, but if you type Bedwell Park Mansion into Google you will find the transcribed entry from the 2% 1851 census. Sarah has the name Jeruby?

Hope this may help.

Regards,

Elley

I'd be prepared to bet it's on Ancestry somewhere, but I suspect their transcription was done in Asia somewhere
Clive

Case duly rested :D

Peter Goodey
17-10-2007, 9:03 PM
Essendon should be in HO 107/1712 ff 1-199. I can't see it on Ancestry.

jabscrooby
17-10-2007, 9:08 PM
Thank you both for looking,sorry Elley I cannot find the link on google,not very expert at this but I have the ref HO107/1712/~F5
I cannot be sure that this is my 3x Grandmother until I can find where it says she was born.
Jules

jeeb
17-10-2007, 9:14 PM
Hi Jules,

It says she was born Warwickshire.

Jeremy

jabscrooby
17-10-2007, 9:20 PM
Hi Jeremy,
Does it say where in Warwickshire?
She has put Brailes on later census entries
Jules

jeeb
17-10-2007, 9:27 PM
Hi Jules,
Unfortunately it is only possible to read a transcript and it gives:-

Bronty? Warwickshire

Jeremy

jabscrooby
17-10-2007, 9:33 PM
What a shame it is not on Ancestry as I need to have a look at the census page to be sure.
Many thanks
Jules.

Peter Goodey
18-10-2007, 6:47 AM
You can view the microfilm at the FRC, at Herts RO (I believe) or you can order in the film through the Mormons.

Geoffers
18-10-2007, 7:46 AM
Does it say where in Warwickshire?
She has put Brailes on later census entries

Brailes is in Warwickshire just east of Shipston-on-Stour

Do you have a marriage certificate for this lass? Does it show her dad's name and occupation. Does this tie up with the 1841 census HO107/1126/11 f43 p10 for a SCRUBY family in Stratford?

Geoffers

jabscrooby
18-10-2007, 9:56 AM
Sarah never married, she was in service until 1881 when she was living with her daughter in Thames Ditton, they then moved to Hastings where she died in 1902, I have been trying to find her in 1841,51 and 61, I think I have found her in 1871 in St Georges Sq London, her daughter married in Kensington in 1865.
Sarah was Baptised in Cropredy Oxon and the family lived in Brailes Warwicks early 1800 and Sibford Oxon later.I have them in the census but just cannot find Sarah in those missing years
Jules

Frank W
18-10-2007, 10:00 AM
I have the Census CD for HO107-1712
Bedwell Park Mansion, Essendon.

Sarah's residence starts on Fol 4 Page 1, Sched 4, and continues on Page 2, where the servants are listed.

Sarah Scruby, Cook, U, 30, Servant, Warwickshire, B***ty

The 3? letters in the birthplace could be 'oru' / 'orn' / ran' / 'ron' / 'ran' etc. I'd go for Branty as the choice, but the image can't be enlarged without blurring.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc253/Frank_W_2007/scruby/scruby.jpg

The surname looks like Jeruby so the transcriber probably did not know of the Scruby surname.

Regards........Frank W

jabscrooby
18-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Many thanks Frank,
Still not sure if it is her, her parents John and Rhoda were married at Broughton seven months before her baptism at Cropredy, I have found a few different entries on the later census with age and she is housekeeper when she was living with her daughter then she changes to aunt in the next census, she is proving very difficult.
Jules

Geoffers
18-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Still not sure if it is her, her parents John and Rhoda were married at Broughton seven months before her baptism at Cropredy

The 1841 census reference I gave has a John aged 45, the person whom I assume to be his wife is Mary, the same age. Quite possibly Rhoda had died and John remarried?

What was Sarah's daughter's name - when and where was she born according to the 1881 census?

If Sarah went into a workhouse or prison at any time, and especially when recorded in earlier censuses, she may only be shown by initials, age and place of birth.

Geoffers

Frank W
18-10-2007, 11:57 AM
This may be a red herring, but I have picked up 2 Census refs to SCRUBY
in Essex 1851 . The info comes from a transcription by Pamela Bishop .

The Piece number is HO107-1770 and the Scruby name is in Folio 250 (ED 2b) and in Folio 273 (ED3) Both in parts of Epping.

Pam's transcription file is apparently not online at present.

Regards....Frank W

Frank W
18-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Trying the links I posted previously, I found that one of Pamela Bishop's sites is unavailable, and the other site does not now appear to give access to Essex Census files. Sorry about this, but I'm trying to contact Pam for the present site and link availability.

There is a James SCRUBY (Farmer) listed as an Epping resident in Whites Directory 1848 Part 2 according to a Google search for [ Epping census scruby ]

Regards..........Frank W

Ken Boyce
18-10-2007, 4:33 PM
From the census image
HO107/1712 folio 5 Schedule 4
Bedwell Park Mansion
Sarah (S*)cruby – Cook- unmarried- age 30 –servent-born Warwickshire B*****
The image clarity is A1 the Enumerator’s script is swiggley the surname S is not clear and the place in Warwickshire begins with a B but doesn’t look like Brailes could be Bront*

jabscrooby
18-10-2007, 5:05 PM
In 1841 John and Rhoda were living at Sibford Ferris, in 1851 Rhoda was living with two of her children Richard and Hannah and the two children of Sarah, Andrew Edward 1846 and Eliza Rhoda 1844 both born Sibford, I have the parish baptism entries for them.
Jules

jeeb
22-10-2007, 9:30 AM
Hi Jules,
I know it can be easy to read something into a word 'that we want it to say' but I think the birthplace in 1841 could easily be Brailes. The first three letters are almost certainly Bra, compare the next letter with the two 'i' in Warwickshire, they are very similar in the way they connect to the next letter. The fifth letter is difficult and seems to be crossed but there are other marks added by someone checking the census and it is possible that could have been added later. It is then possible that it could also be an 'l' if you accept the letter before is an i with the second stroke forming part of the fifth letter. The sixth letter looks like an 'e' when compared with the 'e' in Warwickshire, followed by an 's' falling away below the line. I am fairly certain the last letter is not a 'y'.

Jeremy

jabscrooby
30-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Hi Jeremy,
I have now a copy of the census page and looking at the writing on the rest of the page the end two letters could be ES as all the other Y letters are straight downwards.
I will have to see if there are any other Sarah Scruby births for Warwickshire around 1820.
Jules