PDA

View Full Version : EDWARD SOLLIS b 1779 m ELIZABETH ??

sue canada
17-10-2007, 6:18 PM
Can anyone help me find this marriage |help|

Edward was living in Buckland Berkshire by age 75 and Elizabeth was dead.

I can't find either his birth or their marriage although I have found their children and been able to follow them up.

I just don't know where to look for Elizabeth and how to find Edward's birth??

Any ideas would be great |banghead|

Thanks so much.

janbooth
18-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Edward and Elizabeth are in the 1841 census of Buckland and both are shown as born in the county:

HO107/19/2, folio 4, page 3
Buckland Marsh

Edward SOLICE 60 Ag Lab Born in the county y
Elizabeth do 55 y
Elizabeth do 15 y
James do 5 y

Elizabeth has died by the 1851 census but James is still in Buckland:

HO107/1687, folio 464, page 10

Charles CONSTABLE Head Mar 27 Ag Lab Berks Buckland
Elizabeth do Wife Mar 26 do do
Edwin do Son 3 do do
Harry do Son 1 do do
Edward SOLLIS Lodger 72 Ag Lab do Coxwell

Hope this helps.

Janet

janbooth
18-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Further to my reply, I have looked on the IGI and there is a baptism in 1791 of a Giles SOLLIS at Great Coxwell, father John mother Jane - could this John SOLLIS be a brother to your Edward?? One thing you could try, is to order the parish registers of Coxwell from your local LDS Family History Centre and look through them to see if you can find the baptism of Edward and either his marriage or the banns of his marriage to Elizabeth. The place of birth he gives on the 1851 census looks like the only clue you have at the moment. Sorry not to be of more help.

Janet

sue canada
18-10-2007, 1:13 PM
Further to my reply, I have looked on the IGI and there is a baptism in 1791 of a Giles SOLLIS at Great Coxwell, father John mother Jane - could this John SOLLIS be a brother to your Edward?? One thing you could try, is to order the parish registers of Coxwell from your local LDS Family History Centre and look through them to see if you can find the baptism of Edward and either his marriage or the banns of his marriage to Elizabeth. The place of birth he gives on the 1851 census looks like the only clue you have at the moment. Sorry not to be of more help.

Janet

Hi Janet,

Thanks so much for taking the time to look for me.|angel|

I did go to the Berkshire Records Office at Reading and got most of my info from there. Is that what you mean by local LDS Family History Centre?

I'm also wondering if Giles could have been a brother to Edward because I think Edward was born in 1779 or 8 so it's only 10 years between. Also The line I'm following goes from Edward's son Giles b, 1812. I'll have to try and find more about John and Jane and maybe Edward will turn up!!

I am stuck on Edward's marriage because I suspect it occurred where Elizabeth lived and I don't know where that was. I found lots of other Sollis marriages in Buckland, Berkshire but not Edward.

Thanks again for your help, I think you may have helped quite a lot!

Sue:):):)

Geoffers
18-10-2007, 2:02 PM
I did go to the Berkshire Records Office at Reading and got most of my info from there. Is that what you mean by local LDS Family History Centre?

The mormons (LDS) have loads of record centres, there should be one not too far from you. Berkshire RO is not connected to the mormons.

I am stuck on Edward's marriage because I suspect it occurred where Elizabeth lived and I don't know where that was.

This is purely guesswork - but the Coxwells are just west of Faringdon, Buckland just east of the same market town. I just wonder if an ag.lab going into a hiring fair was given the glad eye by your Elizabeth who was working there?????

Geoffers

Pennie
18-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Hi Sue ...

No sign of Edward and Elizabeth's marriage on the OFHS's Oxfordshire Marriage Index (539-1837), but both Coxwell, Buckland (and surrounding parishes) are included on their N. Berks. MI.

It might be worth seeing if the marriage is listed on this index - go to "Search Services" on their website (costs a very reasonable couple of pounds).

Pennie

janbooth
19-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Sue,

If you go to the IGI Family Search website there is a search facility on the Home page entitled "Find a Family History Centre near you". This should tell you the nearest one to yourself. Alternatively, if you are near Berkshire RO, you could just go along to there and search the Coxwells parish registers. Good luck

Janet

sue canada
19-10-2007, 5:53 PM
Hi Janet,

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions. I have found a FH centre about an hour away so I'll be trying there next week. They're only open a couple of evenings. But worth a try.

When I was visiting England recently I did go to the Berkshire RO and looked through all the Parish Registers. No Edward though. That's what made me think it might have been in another county, wherever Elizabeth came from.

I'll keep trying though.

Thanks again, Sue

sue canada
19-10-2007, 5:59 PM
Hi Sue ...

No sign of Edward and Elizabeth's marriage on the OFHS's Oxfordshire Marriage Index (539-1837), but both Coxwell, Buckland (and surrounding parishes) are included on their N. Berks. MI.

It might be worth seeing if the marriage is listed on this index - go to "Search Services" on their website (costs a very reasonable couple of pounds).

Pennie

Hi Pennie,

Thanks for your advice. Not quite sure what you mean about Coxwell and Buckland? I think you have searched the Oxfordshire Marriage Index - thanks for that - I didn't know you could do that online? I did visit the Berkshire RO on a recent trip to England and looked all through Buckland, Coxwell etc but couldn't find Edward or Elizabeth. Found their children's marriages etc but nothing on Edward or Elizabeth. Does the link you mentioned cover all surrounding areas because it would definitely be worth trying to get someone to look it up for me if that is the case.

I'll take a look but thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Sue

janbooth
20-10-2007, 9:49 AM
Sue,

I think that Pennie was trying to tell you that Oxfordshire FHS perform searches (at a very reasonable cost and they are extremely helpful). If you go to their home page, there is a link on the right hand side showing "Search Services". Click on that and it shows that they will perform a search on the North Berkshire Marriage Index which includes the Coxwells & Buckland and surrounding areas. It might be well worth your while asking them for a search for both Edward's marriage and John & Jane's marriage as Edward could well have been born & christened in Jane's home parish (always presuming John & Jane were his parents). Did you find any Banns when you searched for Edward's marriage previously, because if he was married in another parish there is a chance that the banns were called in his home parish. There is also the chance that the marriage could have been by licence and there may be a record of that. Sorry if I am already telling you something that you know but I am trying to explore all avenues.

Good luck and I hope something turns up for you.

Janet

Pennie
21-10-2007, 3:40 PM
Hi Sue ...

Janet has posted an extremely good explanation of the N. Berks. MI and OFHS search services.

There are two ways to search the Oxfordshire Marriage Index - ask the OFHS via their "Search Services" (same as for N. Berks. MI), or you can buy the CD-rom of the index (indexed by both bride and groom names) for c£50. Sounds a bit expensive, but is invaluable for those doing a lot of research in Oxfordshire.

There is a map on the OFHS Search Services pages (flagged "New" in red) which shows coverage for all the parishes - those coloured pink were in Berkshire before 1974 and are therefore included on the N. Berks. MI).

Pennie