PDA

View Full Version : illegitimate or adopted

Thisty
16-10-2007, 6:38 PM
I have hit a snag with my gtgt Grandmother Margaret Wright bn 1849 in Jedburgh, Scotland. We knew her father was named Walter Wright and that he was a tailor in Jedburgh, I've found out his wife was called Mary-Anne Chambers and they married in 1848 also in Jedburgh.

So far all seems perfectly normal.....until I found Margaret's marriage certificate to Robert Rae......

She gives her father's name as Walter Wright (Tailor) so far so good.......however her mother's name is given as Isabella Bell !!!!

Now as you can see Walter was definately married to Mary-Anne at the time of Margaret's birth so the heck is Isabella Bell? I find it hard to believe that Margaret would knowingly put a wrong name on her marriage certificate (especially given that both Walter and Mary-Anne were very much alive at the time)

To add to this confusion, Margaret does not appear on EITHER the 1851 or 1861 census with Walter and Mary-Anne even though she was still a child at the time.........where on earth was she?

Now.....my mother recalls some vague story about a servant girl who became pregnant and that Walter and Mary-Anne adopted the child out of the goodness of their hearts (yeah right!) if this is the case why did Margaret name Walter as his father? could this story be true but the fact that Walter was the real father conveniently ommited?

I can't make any sense of this one at all ..... anyone else?

Peter Goodey
16-10-2007, 8:34 PM
Margaret does not appear on EITHER the 1851 or 1861 census with Walter and Mary-Anne even though she was still a child at the time

In the 1851 census, who is Margaret Bell, a visitor in Walter & Mary Ann Wright's household in Jedburgh?

I'm only looking at a transcript and it gives Margaret Bell's age as 11. This needs to be checked. What does the image say?

Thisty
16-10-2007, 8:48 PM
Hi Peter

Yes the age is definately 11. However........next door there is a 2 year old Margaret Bell but the Isabella in that household in only 8y/o so I think I can safely rule her out as a possible mother (least I hope I can)

Chasing Caseys
16-10-2007, 8:49 PM
I have hit a snag with my gtgt Grandmother Margaret Wright bn 1849 in Jedburgh, Scotland. We knew her father was named Walter Wright and that he was a tailor in Jedburgh, I've found out his wife was called Mary-Anne Chambers and they married in 1848 also in Jedburgh.

I may have misread this but do you actually have her birth record as this should name the mother ?
I cant find a Margaret Wright or Bell born in Jedburgh 1849 on Scotlandspeople.

Added minutes later.............I see on LDS site that there is a user submitted entry for her birth has this been confrimed as true as quite often they arnt.

Peter Goodey
16-10-2007, 8:53 PM
1. Where have you get Margaret Wright's age from?

2. Who is Isabella Wright in the same household as Walter Wright in the 1841 census?

Thisty
17-10-2007, 6:51 AM
Sorry I should have said, I haven't found a record for her birth anywhere, but lucky for me my mother has Margaret's bible which I believe was her wedding present as the first entry in it is her marriage............this also gives her birth date.

The LDS entry, well......that was submitted by a friend of my mother's who unfortunately got the children's names wrong but that's another story lol.

The Isabella Bell living next door to Walter and Mary-anne in the 1851 census appears to be the sister of the 2 y/o Margaret Bell..........the 11 y/o Margaret Bell actually in Walter's household? I have no idea where she fits in at all unfortunately

Chasing Caseys
17-10-2007, 9:40 AM
It may well be worth you spending some money on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk if you havnt already. Doing another search there are 14 Margaret Wrights born in Jedburgh (without limiting it to date or year) something may come to light if you view them ? could be the best £6 you spent in a long while ;)

Thisty
17-10-2007, 5:11 PM
Hi Tracey,

Unfortunately none of them are mine :(