PDA

View Full Version : WILLESDEN, Mount Hermon Orphanage

eleanor bristow
15-10-2007, 2:17 PM
WILLESDEN,Mount Hermon Orphanage,49,Cambridge Avenue.
has anyone who lives in this area ever heard of this place?
1901 census has Maud Smith born in STRATFORD east London, age 12

hughar
15-10-2007, 3:59 PM
This establishment Seems to have moved around a bit.

From Dickens's Dictionary of London, by Charles Dickens, Jr., 1879 at victorianlondon.org/dickens/dickens-charities.htm
"Girls Orphan Homes, Mount Hermon, Miss Cole, 47, Weymouth-St, W. train for domestic service"

From Herbert Fry's Royal Guide to the London Charities, edited by John Lane, 1917, also on the Victorian London site at victorianlondon.org/charities/charities.htm
"Girls' Protective Home (In connection with the Children's Aid Society, and Ladies Association for the Care of Friendless Girls in Hastings and St. Leonards); 1884; Mount Hermon, 38, Ashburnham Road, Hastings; To train girls of good character for domestic service." Is this the same or related?

From the book "Woman's Mission" ed. Angela Georgina Burdett-Coutts, pub. 2001, page 375: "Mount Hermon Girls' Orphan Homes, Cambridge Avenue, Kilburn, London. By Mrs.Parry. - The late Miss Mary Ann Cole under- " Unfortunately I can't tell you what's on the next page, as Google Book Search only has selected pages on-line. But it's recent, so should be available from a Library.

Also archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/EOLFHS-MEMBERS/2001-07/0995285806 has a message posted in 2001 with brief information of the orphanage moving to Sevenoaks, Kent, in 1905.

eleanor bristow
15-10-2007, 5:35 PM
Thank you so much,I will try and get that book. Eleanor

Kenneth Chilvers
02-12-2008, 2:42 PM
Have just found my Grand mother listed on the 1891 Census at the above Orphanage, not sure how she got there as her mother Mary Ann Cozens (2nd marriage) was a witness at Minnie Hammond's wedding in 1900. Can you help with any information on this one please. Ken Chilvers

Mutley
02-12-2008, 5:16 PM
If your grandmother is Minnie Hammond born June qrt of 1880 in Epsom then she is on the 1881 census with mum, Mary Ann, a widow and the other 7 children.
Class: RG11; Piece: 761; Folio: 103; Page: 2;

Maybe she had trouble coping. You do not say when she remarried but there is one to a Walter in 1884. Maybe he did not want to take on all the children.

Have you found Mary Ann in 1891?

Kenneth Chilvers
03-12-2008, 2:08 PM
Thank you Mutley for your quick reply. Minnie Hammond was born in 1880(father unknown) some 18 months after her mother became a widow. Her mother, Mary Ann was married in 1884 to Walter Cozens as you said. Minnie's two immediate brothers have been found in 1901 Census, no trace of other five children. Have been unable to find any record of Mary & Walter Cozens to date. His family originated in Deal/Dover, Kent but moved to Sutton,Surrey. Have found book mentioned in 'hughar' post re Mount Hermon Orphanage, the entry before in the Appendix mentions another similar orphanage in Epsom (where the Hammond/Cozens lived) and this was tranferred to Kilburn, the location of Mount Hermon, hope to get some answers from East Surrey F.H.S. Thanks again for help.
Ken Chilvers, at Chilly Colchester.

Kenneth Chilvers
13-12-2008, 4:22 PM
Info. for hughar.

If you use http://www.archive.org/details/womansmissionserOOburdiala, it will take you into a list of options for reading the Text. At this stage my experience ran out and I was not able to print off any details for Mount Hermon.

Kenneth Chilvers
16-11-2009, 3:48 PM
WILLESDEN,Mount Hermon Orphanage,49,Cambridge Avenue.
has anyone who lives in this area ever heard of this place?
1901 census has Maud Smith born in STRATFORD east London, age 12

eleanor, Did you find out any more information regarding Mount Hermon Girls Orphanage? Any possible leads or contacts would be most appreciated.So far I have not been able trace any Archive or Record Office with details.
Ken Chilvers.

eleanor bristow
17-11-2009, 5:05 PM
Hi Kenneth,
sorry to say could not find out anthing more, but a lady did get in touch and told me that they might have moved down to Brighton. It was a orphange to teach girls to go into service. Sorry I can't be of any help Eleanor