PDA

View Full Version : Baptism of Ellen Macguire C1835

carol t
14-10-2007, 9:31 PM
I am trying to find the baptism of Ellen or Helen Macguire about 1835. I have her marriage certificate in the district of Calton. At the free church of Scotland. Her father Colin is deceased and her mother's maiden name is given as Mclean. Both parties to the marriage lived at 122 Saltmarket Street. I have found her on all later censuses living in England and she says she was born in Glasgow Scotland. Any help welcome.

joette
15-10-2007, 11:07 AM
The clue is the form of her marriage "Free Church of Scotland" Sorry to say that the Free Church refused to give their baptisms etc to what was the Ecclesiastical Authority of the Church of Scotland.
This means that you may be lucky to find the baptisms at NAS- National Archives of Scotland but there may be no records remaining.

carol t
15-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks for that but what is this Free church did different rules apply to them.
Would I be able to get a list of the chuch member or any thing else?

joette
16-10-2007, 2:49 PM
The Free Church seceded from the Church of Scotland at some point early on in the 1800's.
They refused to acknowledge the authority of the official Church who held sway over much of public life ie-recording of BMDs.The Free Church still looms large in the Highland &Islands holding sway over much of public life-see the irony in this??eg no transport on a Sunday.
They kept their own records as did RC,Epscipolian etc.The NAS site may be able to tell you where if any of these records are held.