PDA

View Full Version : How Can I find out for sure?

sindylin
14-10-2007, 8:00 PM
My great grand father Albert Webb born 1869 doesn't appear on the 1901 census so I am thinking he may have fought in the Boer War. How can I find out when all I know is his name and dob? He would have been a survivor as he lived until 1935.

thanks
sindylin

v.wells
14-10-2007, 8:30 PM
sindylin

try TNA documents online - type in name and years interested in and he may show up there. Your ggrandfather Albert - would he be in any way related to William Webb married to Frances Daisy Stuart? William is my uncle by marriage and died in 1973 in Wales. I am having trouble tracing him and I know that he was in the Royal Navy. Does your Albert appear in the 1871/81 census? You could also try the pension records on ancestry and/or findmypast.

Vanessa

sindylin
14-10-2007, 8:41 PM
Hi Vanessa

I don't know anything about his family at this stage, not even his parents until I get the birth certificate. I will let you know if a William turns up. He may well have had siblings.

He doesn't appear on any of the census returns, I couldn't find the 1881 one....where can that be viewed?

I will try TNA documents on line....er..what are they by the way?

Thanks
sindylin

v.wells
14-10-2007, 8:50 PM
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/searchthearchives/ to search for military records. 1881 census at ancestry or findmypast or rootsweb. I will look and see since I have a sub with them. Hold that thought!

v.wells
14-10-2007, 9:00 PM
I found Albert Webb on ancestry 1891 census born Bradford Wilts.
Albert Webb age 22 Lance corporal Wiltshire Regiment
Le Marcharchant Barracks Devizes Wiltshire
RG12/1600 folio 129 page 4

Hope that helps or maybe it's not him.

sindylin
14-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Maybe I should have mentioned that "my" Albert Webb was born in Ipswich.

sindylin

Peter Goodey
15-10-2007, 7:25 AM
An Albert Webb born Ipswich 1869 appears to be visible in the 1871 and 1881 censuses. He may be in the 1901 but I need more information.

Who were his parents? (birth certificate)

Whom did he marry and when?

Any children before 1901?

sindylin
15-10-2007, 4:48 PM
An Albert Webb born Ipswich 1869 appears to be visible in the 1871 and 1881 censuses. He may be in the 1901 but I need more information.

Who were his parents? (birth certificate)

Whom did he marry and when?

Any children before 1901?

How on earth did I miss it??? I couldn't find the entry at all on any of the census returns..I must need glasses

As yet I don't know his parents' names as birth certificate is on its way in post

He married Frances Anne Renouf in the West Ham district. On 5th May 1913, again I haven't got the certificate yet.

As far as I am aware, my Nan was the first and only child born to him and that was in March 1916. (However.......he WAS 47 maybe he was married previously? or even fathered a child or two....)

Sindylin

Geoffers
15-10-2007, 7:00 PM
He married Frances Anne Renouf in the West Ham district. On 5th May 1913, again I haven't got the certificate yet.

It would help you a lot to obtain this certificate too. It should hopefully record his father's name and occupation and this should match up with the birth certificate. If you do not have the marriage certificate on order, I would recommend you do apply for a copy.

Geoffers

sindylin
15-10-2007, 7:28 PM
ok, thanks Geoffers....leave i with me...lets see what bothcertificates show

sindylin

sindylin
22-10-2007, 2:18 PM
I now have his birth certificate. He was born to Mary Webb in the Union Workhouse, Ipswich in the sub district of St Matthew. Both the fathers name and Occupation boxes are blank!|banghead|

I have found him in the 1871 census aged 16 months, where both he and Mary are lodging with Widow Ann Church and family (Ann is remarried by 1881 and obviously they aren't lodging with her then!) but still can't trace either Mary or Albert on the 1881 census and beyond.

I would like to find out if Mary was in the workhouse for the 1861 census, but can't figure out how to do a search by address rather than name.

Anyhow, this is what I have found so far

sindylin

lesleysmith50
30-11-2007, 3:15 PM
IF YOU ONLY WANT TO TRACE AN ADDRESS RATHER THAN A NAME YOU SHOULD GO INTO WWW. FINDMYFAMILY.CO.UK.