PDA

View Full Version : IGI Submitted Christening Entry - Leytonstone

Mutley
11-10-2007, 9:04 PM
I have found an entry on Family Search that I believe to be one of mine. His name and parents names are correct and the date is possible +/-3, according to census and marriage certificate.

A Church has not been given, just Leytonstone, Essex.

In 1861 the family lived in Stepney, Middlesex and his brother was christened at St John Evangelist, Limehouse.

Does anyone have any idea which parish church would be the most likely one that I should look at please?

ET in the USA
11-10-2007, 10:11 PM
You don't give the year, but have you found a GRO birth reg. for this person giving you the district?

Provided the GRO district is in Essex and you even remotely believe the submitted IGI entry:
Since St. John the Evangelist is an Anglican church, I'd stick with that religion for another child from the same family and per Genuki, there are 3 churches listed for the town of Leytonstone.

Leytonstone
St. John the Baptist. Anglican
Primitive Methodist. Non, Gainsborough Bridge
Wesleyan Methodist. Non, High Road
There is also a website for the church (below) which might give you some history, location, etc
http://www.stjohns-leytonstone.org.uk/index.htm (http://www.stjohns-leytonstone.org.uk/index.htm)

Mutley
11-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Thank you ET.

No, I did not give a year did I |doh| The date given by the IGI was 05 Nov 1865. His name is Elijah Selby.

I cannot find a birth record either. I have checked through the individual pages of the GRO Index (A...try version) for each quarter from 1863 to 1868.

He married in St. Michael's, Roman Catholic Church, Southwark. His parents and many others in the family also married in RC Churches. His Uncle was baptised in a Wesleyan Chapel.

I'm off the look at the link and churches you gave me. Thanks again.

jeeb
11-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Hi Mutley,
Interesting thing on 1871 census ref RG10/742 Folio 74 Page 11

Thomas & Mary Ann Selby have a 4 year old child living with them called Eliza. The enumerator had put this as son and also age was under the male section, it has been changed at a latter date.

Jeremy

Ken Boyce
12-10-2007, 1:44 AM
Hi Mutely
I'm not an expert in the use of the IGI but something may be amiss here

If you go to Library search on the LDS website and in the place field put in Leytonstone then parish records you will see that the LDS filmed the Leytonstone Parish churches among others

Thus you should also likely be returning EXTRACTED records for Leytonstone

Try accessing the IGI only search (Not all) and put the surname only year +_3 Essex etc

If that doesn't give you anything try google for the Batch #s for the Essex churches with the batch # enter just the surname or forename not both
I'm doing this from memory
Regards

In addition try t he above for limehouse

Elley
12-10-2007, 6:30 AM
Hi Mutley,

The BVRI also gives the Christening of Elijah Selby as 5 November 1865 but states that it was at St Johns the Baptist Leytonstone.
Parents Thomas Selby and Mary Ann
FHL Film 1564140

Regards,

Elley

Mutley
12-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks Jeremy,
Yes, that one threw me into confusion for a long time. I think it was Elijah as I cannot find any evidence of an Eliza. If this baptism in Leytonstone is a him then it fits that she is really a he.:confused:

Ken and Elley - Thank you both.
With your help I do seem to have found that it is an extracted record also.
Unfortunately, here in Portugal we do not have an active LDS within travelling distance. The records for St. John the Baptist appear to be held at the Waltham Forest Archives and as far as I can make out you have to visit to see them.

Does anyone know if it is worth buying the BVRI?

AnnB
12-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Hello Mutley

The Waltham Forest Archives are held at the Vestry House Museum in Walthamstow. I know they say on the web site that viewing is by appointment only, but in the past I have had help from them (admittedly pre e-mail) and they really were very helpful. I don't think you would have anything to lose by e-mailing them with a request for a look-up.

Best wishes
Ann

Mutley
12-10-2007, 3:26 PM
Thanks Ann, anything is worth a try.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!