PDA

View Full Version : 1849 birth certificate

debsy
11-10-2007, 12:48 AM
I have just been looking through a site posted by Pam
http://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/births.htm#HEAD
The following I've copied about birth registrations (I assume this is not illegal since I have named the site):

The place of birth is not terribly helpful in the early registrations. The description is likely to be just the village name although "posh" people with big houses sometimes got their house names even on the early registrations. By 1860 more of the address was commonly in use eg High Street Chalvey and you might get even more given. By about 1880 reasonably full addresses were in use.

You need to look at the place of birth against the informant and address in Column 7. If mother has registered and the names given in Column 2 , and 7 are identical you have probably got mothers address at the time of the birth. Ditto for father.....In early registrations the mother has probably not travelled far from home to give birth, but even so may have come from several parishes away. In later dates mothers often travelled very long distances from home especially when the baby was going to be adopted and the pregnancy hidden from the rest of the family/village.

I purchased the birth certificate of my gg grandfather from 1849.

No. - 254
Column 1 - Twentieth January 1849 4 Chalton Street Somers Town
Column 2 - Frederick James
Column 3 - Boy
Column 4 - Blank (line drawn through)
Column 5 - Sarah Elizabeth Wood
Column 6 - Blank (line drawn through)
Column 7 - S. E. Wood Mother 4 Chalton Street Somers Town
Column 8 - Fifth February 1849
Column 9 - William Henry Matthews Registrar

The Registration District was St Pancras in the sub-district of Somers Town in the county of Middlesex.

Am I fortunate to have these details then? It seems that Sarah kept her child even though he was fatherless (as he was registered by her). Sarah was not at the above address in the 1851 census. This is currently a brickwall for me as I have no idea of knowing whether Sarah was previously married or if Wood was her maiden name. I don't know where she was born and Wood is such a common name. I can't find either of them in the 1851/61 census. When Frederick was married in 1870 it said deceased for father (no name given) so there was possibly no stepfather either. I have not been able to find a marriage after 1849 for Sarah that I could say was her but I am still investigating this. I am also yet to try and find a baptism but not sure how to go about that. Perhaps Sarah died before the 1851 census.
So many possibilities!

debsy
11-10-2007, 1:10 AM
a bit more reading and I found this:

By about 1850 the situation had been clarified and the instructions read quite clearly "No putative father is to be allowed to sign an entry in the character of "Father" ". From that time, therefore there are 2 kinds of entries in the register

(1) Where the parents were married to one another, fathers details must be entered in the register and only one parent will sign the register (or some other informant)

(2) Where the parents were not married to one another there will be blanks in Column 4 (fathers name) and Column 6 (his occupation)

So I am assuming that Sarah was unmarried to Frederick's father at the time of birth. (Bold entered by me)

Peter Goodey
11-10-2007, 7:29 AM
Absence of a father's name invariably means that the child is illegitimate.

Geoffers
11-10-2007, 7:56 AM
Glad to see that you are reading up different bits and bobs so that you can improve your understanding of records.

One point about census returns, especially for the earlier census those in institutions are sometimes just recorded by initials, marital status, age and birthplace. It seems likely that your chap was illegitimate, his mum may well have found difficuly making ends meet and gone to a workhouse.

I don't know the area where Frederick was born, but it may be worth searching the census for the local workhouse if only to establish that they weren't there. However, if you do find a likely match there in the 1851 census, you only have a fairly short period to trawl through admission registers to see what they record. Any other surviving records for a workhouse may then show what happened to mother and son (and any other children she may have had?).

Geoffers

hughar
11-10-2007, 8:13 AM
Have you noticed that there is an entry for the death of a Sarah Elizabeth Wood in the June quarter of 1752 in St.Pancras reg. district, Vol.1b, page 76. This is the same district where Frederick James Wood's birth was registered in 1849.

debsy
11-10-2007, 2:34 PM
hi Geoffers, just spent some time searching the Pancras area census workhouses but couldn't find anything. I received another birth certificate today from 1850 which had very similar information as Fredericks including blanks for the father, coincidentally this was the certificate of Frederick's future wife! In this case though I found the mother in the subsequent censuses and she did remarry although her illegitimate daughter continued to live with grandma.
Hughar, I have found the info you posted and it may well be her, don't know how to find out for sure as I dont know her birth town or date of birth.
Thank you both for you help
- Deb

hughar
11-10-2007, 3:14 PM
Deb.
The death certificate for this Sarah Elizabeth Wood will give Date and place of death; Sex; Age; Occupation; Cause of death; Name & surname of deceased; and details of the Informant. Nothing about birth town or date of birth.
However, the place of death should give you an address to check in the 1851 census - and the informant's details may also be helpful if Sarah was living with the informant, or was a neighbour.
Right now, it seems to me to be one of the best chances you have.

bigbaz
11-10-2007, 6:46 PM
Hello once more as I,m a newie myself I have just found out that findmypast site has the 1881 census and may i add its free wit woo|biggrin||biggrin|

suedent
11-10-2007, 6:50 PM
Hello once more as I,m a newie myself I have just found out that findmypast site has the 1881 census and may i add its free wit woo|biggrin||biggrin|

The 1881 census (as well as the 1881 Canadian and 1880 US Census) are also available free of charge on the LDS website & have been for many years.

www.familysearch.org

Other censuses have been transcribed by the FreeCens project, it's worth checking it out before spending money. Devon and Cornwall in particular are very well catered for.