PDA

View Full Version : Passenger images on Findmypast.com

sally
10-10-2007, 2:43 PM
I have been on Find my family today and may have found a few of my ancestors who went to Canada (& New Zealand) and looked at the transcriptions. On each person between 1908 and 1913 I got the name, age, whether single or married, sex and occupation (if info on last 4 were given) but nothing to let me know if these definately belonged to me.

Each transcription cost me 5 of my 50 credits and the images would cost 30 credits each but I do not know if they would show me anything more than the transcriptions.

On the images I have for Ellis Island (USA) for around those years they show next of kin at home AND/OR who/where they will be going to after landing - amongst other information.

Can anyone tell me what extra information I would find on the images from Findmypast so that I can decide whether it is worth taking out a subscription. I do not need everything listed such as height, colour of hair, whether on not they could read/write - just something that could help me believe I have the right person each time.

Regards
Sally

suedent
10-10-2007, 2:53 PM
I've found that the information given varies from manifest to manifest, possibly depending on the destination country & the year.

Some give a great deal of information, with other's you just get the name age, occupation & country of origin. With some you don't even get the Christian name, just an initial.

hughar
10-10-2007, 2:57 PM
If you go to the site you named and select Help, then Resources, then Passenger Lists, you will get a description of what is available.

sally
10-10-2007, 4:11 PM
Thank you both for your answers

Suedent - yes, one of the ones I found was only an initial but luckily she was travelling with her 1 yr old son who's name was in full.

Hughar - I had read the Help pages but I was hoping someone on the forum had seen an image for the relavant years as the Help pages were not very helpful to me.

Fingers crossed
Sally

peter nicholl
10-10-2007, 6:49 PM
Hi Sally
I have to say that I've been disappointed by the information, or lack thereof. What are the names?
Peter

Chasing Caseys
10-10-2007, 7:15 PM
For my gt grandmother I found the outgoing passenger list information quite basic but the details taken on arrival in Boston included much more which we dont get to see on the above mentioned site. But more often than not i havnt been able to identify many of mine 100% due to lack of detail some only being noted as Mrs........... and child. You dont know what your going to find till you click on the manifest unfortunately.

sally
10-10-2007, 9:19 PM
Thanks for replying Peter & Tracey. It looks like the best thing I can do is to take out the Voyager subscription but as it only lasts 30 days I will wait until they have nearly finished the years to 1960 to catch anyone who came back here for a visit.

The two I am most interested in for Canada are James GALL b1891 & his sister Janet b1881 both born in Scotland. I know that Janet married in Winnipeg in July 1908 & James enlisted in the Canadian Army in Jan 1916 so at least I have a cut off year for both of them.

Regards
Sally

bwebster186
12-10-2007, 9:34 AM
Have you downloaded James attestation papers from ww1? You probably have, but just in case , you can get them from this site:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivianet/cef/001042-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=409717&interval=20&&PHPSESSID=h2bpkojmmhnvjgd7msag5m9qh6
Brenda

Ladkyis
12-10-2007, 9:52 AM
Thank you Sally! I read your message and thought I would take a look at those records, just to see what you were talking about.

I put in my great grandfather's surname and a date and the destination - south africa - and then scanned the list in the vain hope that one of the many many Seymours might have "actor" as the profession when I came across Mr Gairfoyle Seymour.
My great grandfather is Charles GUILFOYLE-SEYMOUR (stage name) so I looked at the names above and below Mr Gairfoyle Seymour and discovered Mr de Lara, Mrs " " (miss Douglas).
I have found my troupe of actors! Now I know that he went to the Cape in September 1899 on the ship Gaika - I have a bad photocopy of a photograph taken in Durban so now I know when - ish it was probably taken.
Thank you Sally for stirring my curiosity enough to take a look.

The variation og his name is interesting too. I have never seen that particular one and I tried saying Guilfoyle out loud with poor attempts at different accents. I have to assume that whoever registered him onto the ship did not speak clearly and didn't check the spelling.

sally
12-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Hi Brenda, I have got the attestation papers for James but thank you for taking the time to look him up.

Glad to have helped someone else via my posting Ladkyst, actors I believe can be very hard to find - probably due to the travelling they did.

Regards
Sally

suedent
12-10-2007, 10:24 AM
I have found some of the manifests on ships bound for Canada from the UK hold the least information. Possibly this is because it was part of the Empire. Relatives from the same time peiod emmigrating to the USA had to give far more information.

The last manifest I viewed from a ship bound from Canada from Plymouth, Devon just gave the name and age and the fact that the final destination was Montreal. Thankfully I already knew the year in which my relative emmigrated & the name of his female companion otherwise I might well have been stumped. Especially as he was travelling as LEE (rather than A'LEE).

peter nicholl
12-10-2007, 3:56 PM
The two I am most interested in for Canada are James GALL b1891 & his sister Janet b1881 both born in Scotland. I know that Janet married in Winnipeg in July 1908 & James enlisted in the Canadian Army in Jan 1916 so at least I have a cut off year for both of them.RegardsSally

Hi Sally
I've looked at FMP and there are 2 possible candidates.
A Janet Gall Departed Glasgow on 20 June 1908 onboard SS Hesperian bound for Montreal. Janet is shown as 26 years old and "Scotch".
A James Gall Departed Glasgow on 12 July 1912 onboard SS Pretorian bound for Montreal/Quebec. James is shown as a 20 year old Clerk and "Scotch".
That is the limit of the information, however, if it is "your" Janet then it appears that she was on her way to get married (or a shipboard romance, ah) if you know the name of her husband, I'll see if they were travelling together.
Peter

sally
16-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Sorry to be so long replying Peter but I have been typing up the latest PR baptisms that my mum & I have transcribed & have tried to ignore the forums for a few days.
Thank you for the 2 entries you gave me, I have added the other 2 entries for a James with (I think) just 'an adult' & no age to ones I need to download later.

Janet married a William MacKENZIE but I have collected all the ones that could be him & the only ones travelling in 1908 from Glasgow to Montreal were 22 & 5 yrs old. My William was born March 1876 so neither of these are him, I checked MacKENZIE & McKENZIE.

I have been on a site for the Canadian BMDs & the only William born that year was in August so it looks as though he was born in the UK - probably Scotland. I have done searches on Scotlandspeople but have quite a few results to choose from so I still have to decide which one is the most likely.

Thanks for your help
Sally

giveover
25-11-2007, 2:15 PM
If you know the ship name and the dates, you can see the images for free at

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/passenger/index-e.html

Arrivals in Canada between 1865 and 1922 are scanned in the collection. It is not searchable by name, only ship name and date.

Anne

peter nicholl
26-11-2007, 8:46 PM
Hi Anne
Have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick? I know the date, ship, etc and have found it via your link (a BIG Thank you for that) it shows the details of the ship and there appears to be 22 pages, I just can't get to see them|banghead|. Is it possible to see the passengers? And if so, how?
Peter
PS the ship is the White Star liner SS Celtic sailing from Liverpool on 7th May 1919, bound for Halifax with returning soldiers.

sally
26-11-2007, 10:44 PM
If you know the ship name and the dates, you can see the images for free at

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/passenger/index-e.html

Arrivals in Canada between 1865 and 1922 are scanned in the collection. It is not searchable by name, only ship name and date.

Anne

Thank you very much Anne, I do have the ship's names & dates so will go & look at the site right now.
Regards
Sally

giveover
27-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Hi Peter and Sally,

The site does have the images with the passenger names, however, it doesn't seem to be working right now. None of the images on the site are loading for me.
There's not a lot of info given in the ones I've seen, but they are useful and interesting.

Anne

giveover
27-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Just checked again.... it seems to be working now.

sally
27-11-2007, 9:43 AM
Just to let you know Anne that it worked for me. Nothing on Janet as they don't have Montreal but I believe I found my James GALL arriving at Quebec 1912. The one Peter mentioned seems to tie in with my James aged 20 as it says he was going to Winipeg which is correct & something about a brother in law. I can't make out what the headings are but presume this is saying he is going to live with his sister & brother in law which he did until he joined the army. It also says that James was a clerk which is possible as my dad said he thought James had worked along side his brother in the offices of a coal mine in Scotland but will have to wait for the 1911 census to check that out.

Thanks again
Regards
Sally

giveover
27-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Hi Sally,

Glad you found something useful.

Peter did find a Janet Gall in 1908. She is on the Hesperian arriving Montreal June 28th 1908.
Just enter Hesperian,1908 with Glasgow and Montreal and the list will show.

Janet is on page 7.

Best wishes
Anne

giveover
27-11-2007, 1:57 PM
Hi Sally

Can you tell me which site you checked for Canadian BMD.

Thank you.

Anne

sally
27-11-2007, 3:44 PM
Thanks Anne

I tried putting in the info last night but perhaps I put in too much info. I have just been to the site & put in just the info you suggested & it bought up a list of sailings. Thought I would answer you first before I find Janet's entry.
I should have said Canadian BMDs for Manitoba as they were the ones I looked at - sorry to be misleading if you are looking elsewhere.

http://web2.gov.mb.ca/cca/vital/Query.php

Regards
Sally

giveover
27-11-2007, 6:42 PM
Thanks Sally,

I hope you managed to find Janet. I tried to look for an ancestor earlier but the site wasn't working.
It's ok at the moment.

Anne

peter nicholl
27-11-2007, 6:44 PM
Just checked again.... it seems to be working now.
Thanks Anne, it's working tonight.
Peter

Mary Anne
18-12-2007, 1:55 PM
sally

Even though you already have his attestation paper form WW1, you may also wish to order his whole service file. Often the file has a lot of extra information that can prove useful, and the cost is not usually very much - about $10 or so, including the mailing, depending on how big the file is.

https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/copies/secure/005010-5100-e.php

sally
18-12-2007, 4:07 PM
Thanks Mary Anne I will go straight there & take a look.
Regards
Sally