PDA

View Full Version : Divorce for Harry Claud Good

VictoriaB
09-10-2007, 1:43 AM
My g-grandfather Harry Claud Good divorced his first wife, Elizabeth Mary Humble (m. 1911), and he re-married (not sure who).
Is there somewhere online I can find divorce records, or do I have to wait until I make a trip to the UK!

Many thanks

Geoffers
09-10-2007, 6:46 AM
Divorce Records are held at The national Archives (TNA) at Kew, London. Their web-site has loads of research guides which provide help. See this link

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp?j=1

scroll down to 'D' and select 'Divorce Records after 1858'

You'll see that records are held in document class J77 - these are indexed indivudally on TNA's catalogue
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/default.asp
so should turn up in a search. You enter a surname in the 'Word or Phrase field' and in the 'Department or Series code' enter J77. Now I've tried every variant of GOOD and HUMBLE that I can imagine and have found no hits.

This suggests that they either did not divorce - or - divorced after 1927 from when an increasing number of records do not survive.

Geoffers

Karen Newman
09-10-2007, 8:47 AM
There is a 1919 marriage for an Elizabeth M Good to William B Impey in Tendring - might help you narrow things down, if Harry & Elizabeth did divorce

Peter Goodey
09-10-2007, 8:56 AM
You could contact the Principal Registry of the Family Division - details in the Research Guide that Geoffers mentioned.

You're sure there was a divorce? Not just family hearsay?

VictoriaB
10-10-2007, 12:00 AM
It could be hearsay!!!
But I'm fairly sure, as my grandmother was a little bitter about her parents separation. She said that her father (Harry Claud Good) moved to Norfolk with his new wife.

Harry and Elizabeth's children were born 1912 (Grace), 1913 (Kathleen - my grandmother), and 1914 (Agnes). They also had a brother named Terry who I haven't managed to locate. The family story was that Terry was a deep sea diver in South Africa and held the world record for deepest dive for a time (not too sure about that one).

That surprises me to see that perhaps Elizabeth re-married, as that information wasn't verbally passed on to us. I would've assumed my grandmother would have told me if she had a stepfather?
I would be very interested to look into that further!

Thanks for your replies.

VictoriaB
10-10-2007, 12:25 AM
I had a thought that perhaps the younger brother Terry that I haven't located yet might in fact be Terry Impey.

I found Terence A Impey, b. Jun 1920 in Romford with mother 'Emery'. So this birth looks to belong to Arthur Impey and Gladys Emery who married Jun 1918, Romford.