PDA

View Full Version : LECKIE death in Glasgow at train station

janiegirl
08-10-2007, 2:43 PM
I wonder if anyone can help.

One of my ancestors Archibald LECKIE died on 9/3/01 as a result of an accident at the St Enoch Train Station in Glasgow in which he fractured his skull. It may have been a train accident as he was a Steam Crane Worker. There is a note in the margin that says "see case studies volume VIII page 42 13 May 1901".

Does anyone have and idea what this quote means and if the records it refers to would still be in existence?

Thank-you

Janiegirl

joette
10-10-2007, 4:15 PM
Where did you get the info from? Where the cause of death needs investigating eg an accident then a RCE would be attached to the death certificate at GROS.
As he died in 1901 you would be able to read this online at Scotlands People. It would cost you an extra two credits the death 6 credits & you get 30 credits for £6.
The RCE does not often give much extra info but it did specify the place of accident for my rellie & the name of the Dr & the house he was carried into from the railway bridge where he had his accident.

There is an online list of accidents involving railways & one for miners too which I have searched maybe worth a look?-just gives the name date of death & occasionally details of what happened.

janiegirl
10-10-2007, 5:39 PM
Hi Joette

You say that an "RCE would be attached to the death certificate at GROS!. Sorry I'm a newbie can you explain what RCE and GROS are?

I have looked at the death entry on Scotlands People. Sorry I wasn't clearer, the note in the margin I referred to in my previous post was in margin of the death entry.

I looked in the railway accident website you refer to and there was no accident recorded at that station in that year.

I am going to go to the Mitchell Library in Glasgow where a lot of the local records are held to see what I can find.

His death was in 1901 as you surmised.

Thanks again

Janiegirl

joette
11-10-2007, 2:55 PM
Oh that's easy go back to your death entry to have a look at the Record of Corrected Entry
GROS-General registrar of Scotland -located at New Register House in Edinburgh.
If you go to your death entry & look at the top of the page there should be a wee red button which says RCE on it.It costs a further two credits to read.
When are you going to the Mitchell? I will be there week of 22nd October.Not sure which day yet.I'll be the one
1 Crying or laughing loudly
2 Being hauled out at closing time.

janiegirl
13-10-2007, 3:42 PM
Thanks for the info joette, I am really looking forward to going to the Mitchell myself.

Janiegirl

janiegirl
01-12-2007, 5:58 PM
On the National Archive of Scotland website I did a search for Archibald Leckie, I found out that they had in their records the notes of evidence from the fatal accident enquiry into his death.

What a thrill when I was able to go and look at them in Edinburgh last week! I'll get photocopy of it through the post in a few weeks but it was great to be able to read the typewritten information from the original.

It turns out that the fracture of the skull referred to on the GROS death entry happened because he was on the back of his lorry, guiding a crane driver to put a piece of stone reckoned to weigh a couple of hundredweight onto his lorry. The crane broke, dropping the stone on him, there was no doctor there at the time but witnesses said he was obviously dead. The evidence also said that the crane operator was a young man who had only operated a crane once before and there was also a pin missing on the crane near the clutch (one witness said this had nothing to do with the accident but others disagreed). It seems that the accident occured because of these 2 things.

Janiegirl

janiegirl
30-01-2008, 8:07 PM
The notes of evidence from the fatal accident inquiry told me that Archibald was buried at Cathcart Cemetery. One quick phone call to the local council and I found out exactly where he was buried and that his wife (Isabella) and son James (died aged 17 in 1909 of Cardiac Disease) were in the same plot.

I went to see the grave last week but the headstone had fallen over and was overgrown with ivy.

Does anyone have any idea how I could find out the inscription on the headstone without having to pay a stone mason to re-erect it as I think it would be really expensive to have this done.

Thanks

Janiegirl