PDA

View Full Version : Tailor for the army.??

harleychick
06-10-2007, 9:49 AM
My great great Grandfather is listed as marrying in Preston,Brighton in 1845, and occupation as "Tailor for the army before Marriage"
I should imagine he would be working at Preston Barracks, but could anyone tell me how he would work and for who, and would he live at the barracks?
He set up as a tailor and habit maker after his marriage , and continued this trade all his life.
Many thanks.

uksearch
06-10-2007, 7:45 PM
My great great Grandfather is listed as marrying in Preston,Brighton in 1845, and occupation as "Tailor for the army before Marriage"
I should imagine he would be working at Preston Barracks, but could anyone tell me how he would work and for who, and would he live at the barracks?
He set up as a tailor and habit maker after his marriage , and continued this trade all his life.
Many thanks.

I did some work for someone earlier in the year which involved tracing a chap from 1898 to 1920. This lad had been trained in tailoring at an Industrial School. He left the school in 1902 and was otherwise employed. In 1908 he joined the army and was employed as a tailor. In 1911 he was sent to the Royal Army Clothing Depot at Pimlico to qualify as a Master Tailor. In 1913 he passed out as a Staff Sergt Master Tailor and was posted to Gloucestershire. I'm sure if you do search you could find out when the Pimlico depot opened. Just a thought;).

UK

harleychick
07-10-2007, 5:15 PM
Many thanks..worth a try. He obviously had to learn his trade somewhere, and he was born in Sussex, not a million miles from London, so maybe he was apprenticed there.
Sheila.

retired head
01-11-2008, 4:34 PM
I have an ancestor who was thought to have made uniforms for the Chelsea barracks in the first world war. Does anyone know whether there are names listed for those who performed this type of work?

retired head