PDA

View Full Version : St Levan/St Just/St Buryan

jessie young
04-10-2007, 10:58 PM
I am looking for relatives of Clara Prowse nee Matthews please help

Myra
05-10-2007, 4:53 AM
According to her marriage record (30 July 1892 in St. Levan), Clara Hocking MATTHEWS' father was James HOCKING, a labourer of St. Levan.

The following details are only a theory, so it's worth checking Census returns for others with similar surnames.

In 1891 she and husband-to-be, Jacob, were both servants for a WILLIAMS family in St. Levan.

In 1881 it's probable that she was a 12-year-old adopted child, living with Joseph and Prudence MATTHEWS, also in St Levan.

Since there is doubt about her surname, it's highly likely that she was part of this same surname group, in the Union Workhouse, Madron in 1871:-

,,,Moab Mathews,Inmate,,11,,Scholar,St Levan Cornwall,,
,,,Margaret Mathews,Inmate,U,,27,Charwoman,St Levan Cornwall,,
,,,Clara Mathews,Inmate,,,3,Scholar,St Levan Cornwall,,
,,,Elizabeth Mathews,Inmate,,,3m,,Madron Cornwall,,

I hope this helps, if only in a process of elimination.

jessie young
11-10-2007, 9:20 PM
i am looking for relatives from 1845 to present day - to exclude her own children and their decendants thanks

jessie young
17-10-2007, 10:02 PM
According to her marriage record (30 July 1892 in St. Levan), Clara Hocking MATTHEWS' father was James HOCKING, a labourer of St. Levan.

The following details are only a theory, so it's worth checking Census returns for others with similar surnames.

In 1891 she and husband-to-be, Jacob, were both servants for a WILLIAMS family in St. Levan.

In 1881 it's probable that she was a 12-year-old adopted child, living with Joseph and Prudence MATTHEWS, also in St Levan.

Since there is doubt about her surname, it's highly likely that she was part of this same surname group, in the Union Workhouse, Madron in 1871:-

,,,Moab Mathews,Inmate,,11,,Scholar,St Levan Cornwall,,
,,,Margaret Mathews,Inmate,U,,27,Charwoman,St Levan Cornwall,,
,,,Clara Mathews,Inmate,,,3,Scholar,St Levan Cornwall,,
,,,Elizabeth Mathews,Inmate,,,3m,,Madron Cornwall,,

I hope this helps, if only in a process of elimination.
a tremendous help many thanks how can i identify fathers of other siblings?

Myra
18-10-2007, 3:36 AM
There is no proof in PRs that Clara's father was Joseph HOCKING, as no-one is likely to have checked the information which she supplied on her marriage.

It looks as if this is her baptism record:-

18 Nov 1870, in Madron, Clara MATTHEWS, daughter of Margaret, abode Union Workhouse.

The transcriber, Gwen Attridge, has far more information for the Parish than I do. She'd be very willing to help with details of sibligs etc.

Good Luck.

Myra

Myra
19-10-2007, 5:45 AM
Sorry, Gwen's email address was 'moderated out', however you should be able to find her by searching Google etc.

Myra