PDA

View Full Version : Chapman Family in Eversholt, Beds

Timbo
04-10-2007, 5:54 PM
Hi
Can anyone help me...

I am researching the Chapman family from Eversholt in Bedfordshire, and have got slightly stuck with a George Chapman, who married a Sarah, but I cannot find any other info about them. They are the parents of Samuel Chapman, my ancestor, who was christened on 30 DEC 1810 in Eversholt. Samuel married Anne (Hannah) Whitbread in 1834, also in Eversholt. The family seemed to all be Agricultural Labourers or Straw threshers, who worked on the Bedford estate.

Any other info, particularly regarding George and Sarah would be gratefully received.
Many thanks
Tim

davidcarca
05-10-2007, 6:42 AM
Virtually all of Beds pre 1812 marriages and baptisms have been extracted onto the IGI, and if the marriage isn’t there it’s likely that it took place outside Beds.

There is only one isolated Chapman burial in Eversholt (in 1612) prior to the burial of a Sara Chapman on 14 July 1823 aged 48. The marriage would seem to have taken place before Sept 1799 when their son William was baptised in Eversholt

Living in Eversholt in 1851 was a George Chapman age 77, retired bricklayer, born Gamlingay Cambs, with wife Mary age 67 – it seems as though he remarried to Mary Finiman on 12 June 1825 per the IGI (in 1851 they had a grandson, Jeremiah Phinemour 13, staying with them)

The IGI has a member submission, which I NEVER trust, of a baptism of a George Chapman at Gamlingay on 11 Sept 1774, son of Robart and Elizabeth, which needs to be verified. I can’t find George’s marriage though which you need to get Sarah’s maiden name

David

davidcarca
05-10-2007, 7:05 AM
The family of Robert and Elizabeth Chapman appears on trees on Rootsweb, as well as on Ancestral and Pedigree files on the LDS site. None of them appear to have a wife for him, or linked him to Eversholt.

David

Timbo
05-10-2007, 4:01 PM
David
thanks for the reply and very useful info

My thinking was that Mary Finiman actually married the son of George and Sarah Chapman....also called George (chr. 1804). However, your information from the 1851 census seems to point to George senior remarrying.

many, many thanks
Tim

davidcarca
05-10-2007, 6:32 PM
Hi Tim

In 1841
HO107/5/12 folio 5A
Eversholt
George Chapman 65 Bricklayer
Mary Chapman 55
Ann Finnemore 35 lacemaker
all born in Beds

HO107/5/13 folio 4B
Church End Eversholt
George Chapman 35 Bricklayer
Charlotte Chapman 45
Joseph 10, Sarah 8
All except Charlotte born in Beds (in 1851 Charlotte's birthplace is shown as Wavendon Bucks)

It does look as though Mary Finnemore married George senior, and not his son.

Regards

David