PDA

View Full Version : St James, Westminster

ElaineMaul
04-10-2007, 7:36 AM
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help please? I think I may have located a marriage for one set of ancestors on the IGI and was going to try and see if I could find out where the registers might be located. However, I'm having a bit of a problem with the church! On the IGI, I've located a marriage for William Savage and Ede Squires on 27 Jan 1828 at St James, Westminster. However, if I search on the Internet for this church, the information I've found seems to suggest it didn't form until after this date. Can anyone offer any help as to where this parish was? Thanks. Elaine

Peter Goodey
04-10-2007, 8:53 AM
If you follow through from the IGI entry you found and click the "source call number", you'll find "Parish registers for St. James' Church, Westminster, 1685-1881".

Click on that title for more information. Click on "View Film Notes" and you'll find that a marriage in 1828 would be on "FHL BRITISH Film
1042319". You can order that in through the Mormons.

The original registers are at Westminster Archives. This church is often referred to as St James Piccadilly.

ElaineMaul
04-10-2007, 9:35 AM
Hi Peter,
Thank-you very much for that. What's odd with this one is that I believe William came from Hadley, Barnet (Herts) and Ede (or Edith!) was born in Kimpton, Hertfordshire. Their first few children were born in Hadley so they obviously settled there to start with. It seems odd that they went so (relatively?) far to get married! William was only a labourer. I'm not entirely sure of William's age; on the 1841 census he says 34 so he would have been about 21 at marriage. Edith is 6 years older. However, I've found this a few times in the early to middle 1800s with others of my ancestors .... they travel away to get married! Elaine

Peter Goodey
04-10-2007, 9:52 AM
I think I'd check the local churches in case it's just a coincidence. Could Edith perhaps have been in service in London? Marrying nearby sometimes guaranteed a good gift from her former employers.

ElaineMaul
04-10-2007, 2:57 PM
Hi Peter,
Thanks again for the information. If she had been in service, because she moved away from her home parish, would she have had to have completed any formal documents? I guess I'm thinking about any possible future relief she might have claimed?
I have a little program on my PC that can locate parishes within a specified distance of another..... but is there a list somewhere saying which parishes and for what time period are to be found on the IGI? Their names don't come up anywhere else in the IGI entries but I guess it could be because the parish isn't on the IGI! Thanks again.
Elaine

Peter Goodey
04-10-2007, 3:05 PM
If she had been in service, because she moved away from her home parish, would she have had to have completed any formal documents?

No

I guess I'm thinking about any possible future relief she might have claimed?

On marriage, she would have acquired her husband's settlement.

is there a list somewhere saying which parishes and for what time period are to be found on the IGI?

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm#PageTitle.htm

It's not totally up to date but does include most of the reasonably reliable batches.

hughar
04-10-2007, 3:37 PM
Not clear from the exchanges above if you're looking for Edith's baptism, or if you already have it.

The IGI has an entry in batch C048121 for the bapt. of Edith Squires to parents George Squires & Hannah at Kimpton, Herts, on 25 May 1800.

ElaineMaul
04-10-2007, 6:04 PM
Hi Peter,
Thank-you for that link. I will have a good look round it. I guess I'll never really know why they went to London to get married, if that marriage entry actually is them!
And thank-you, Hughar ...... I had already found her baptism in the IGI, although I haven't yet seen the actual parish register entry. Luckily, the Hertfordshire Archive centre is not all that far away from me, so I'll have to try to get there one Saturday or other. There are several other 'Squire' children with the same parents that may well be Edith's siblings, so the journey could be worthwhile.
Elaine