PDA

View Full Version : Wheelwright Apprentice

Dargie
04-10-2007, 1:13 AM
My great grandfather was a wheelwright as were his brothers I think, in Suffolk. I have read on previous posts that a long apprenticeship was required. Is there somewhere I could access these apprenticeship records? I am referring to 1840 omwards.
Thanks!

Geoffers
04-10-2007, 6:46 AM
Apprenticeship indentures were for the most part private agreements - a form of contract. Survival of these records is very much luck of the draw.

Try the local record office in case a copy survives there, if he was apprenticed by te workhouse, there may be additional records. The Society of Genealogists in London has a collection of apprenticeship records.

Does he appear as an apprentice in a census return?

Geoffers

Dargie
04-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks Geoffers
No, he was listed as a wheelwright on all the census reports I have seen ie 1861 - 1901 as were his brothers. He was born in 1839 so I doubt the 1851 census would be relevant.
However your question has raised another query! My grandfather apparently did an apprenticeship with an engineer after attending Albert Memorial College.(about 1884) I do not know where this is but would expect it to be in Suffolk near Stowmarket.
I can be quite confident that none were apprenticed from the workhouse! Well, can we ever be completely certain of these things!
Many thanks

Dargie

Sue Mackay
04-10-2007, 10:32 AM
I can be quite confident that none were apprenticed from the workhouse! Well, can we ever be completely certain of these things!

Doubtless your are right to be confident, though you are also right that we can never be certain! I searched for years for the birth of a John McQUEEN in Glasgow. He was a wealthy Glasgow industrialist and a pillar of the Primitive Methodist Church - the family still have the silver trowel presented to his wife when she laid the foundation stone of the new church. Imagine my amazement when I eventually discovered, via the Poor Law records, that he was born a Roman Catholic, his real name was John QUIN and his father had come over from Ireland during the potato famine!

Geoffers
04-10-2007, 12:38 PM
No, he was listed as a wheelwright on all the census reports I have seen ie 1861 - 1901 as were his brothers. He was born in 1839 so I doubt the 1851 census would be relevant.

I would suggest trying the 1851 - just on he offchance that he was apprenticed then - you never know until you look - at the very least it may hopefully provide you with more infromation about your family.

Geoffers

Dargie
05-10-2007, 9:22 AM
Unfortunately I cannot find him in the 1851 census. I have found his sister as a servant in London but no sign of him or his parents.
I have tried variations of spelling etc but as yet have had no luck.
I'll keep trying!
Thanks for the reply.

emeralddragon
19-12-2008, 8:26 PM
My 3rd gt grandfather was apprenticed from a young age as an apprentice
Blacksmith in Devon, on 1841 Census he was 14yrs old. In 1851 he was a Blacksmith still living in Devon
He married in 1852 and ,went to Burton on Trent as a wheelwright presumably for the Brewery trade for Horse drawn drays

Emerald dragon:

Mutley
20-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Unfortunately I cannot find him in the 1851 census. I have found his sister as a servant in London but no sign of him or his parents.
I have tried variations of spelling etc but as yet have had no luck.
I'll keep trying!
Thanks for the reply.

If you would like anyone else to try with a new pair of eyes, let us have his details. You never know.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/MutleyBG/mutleyxmas4.jpg