PDA

View Full Version : marriage banns

madbat
03-10-2007, 3:19 PM
If in the banns records it states that the bride and groom are " of this parish" does this mean that they were born in the parish, or just that they were living in the parish for a few months/years before their marriage? I am trying to find the birth place for a relative, he married in Sheffield in 1828, but i think he may have been born elsewhere, just trying to eliminate a few possibilities. Any advice wouls be great. Thank you.

v.wells
03-10-2007, 3:30 PM
Madbat

According to my marriage certs that I have "of this parish" means "residence at time of marriage". Usually, I have found, they tended to stay in the parish after the marriage - but a parish could contain any # of villages. So, it's best to order cert of birth/or marriage to make sure. Hope that helps!

Vanessa

arthurk
03-10-2007, 4:14 PM
With a marriage in 1828 you're not going to get a certificate of birth or marriage, though if the person lived long enough you should find one or more census entries and a death certificate, which may help to establish his date of birth - and place, if in 1851 census.

"Of this parish" simply means that a person lived there while the banns were being called, so it could be as little as 15 days.

Arthur

Peter Goodey
03-10-2007, 5:15 PM
As Arthur said, three weeks is all it need mean...

BUT...I believe Sheffield parish church (later Cathedral) was one of those places with a reputation for being prepared to marry anyone with minimal checks...no awkward questions etc. So it might be wise to take any "OTP" at that establishment with a large pinch of salt.

suedent
03-10-2007, 5:30 PM
As Arthur said, three weeks is all it need mean...

BUT...I believe Sheffield parish church (later Cathedral) was one of those places with a reputation for being prepared to marry anyone with minimal checks...no awkward questions etc. So it might be wise to take any "OTP" at that establishment with a large pinch of salt.

Stoke Damerel Church in Devon was like that. I reckon it's Cornwall's equivalent of Gretna Green. If I ever have problems finding a marriage in the home parishes it's the next place I look.

Peter Goodey
03-10-2007, 6:37 PM
Stoke Damerel Church in Devon was like that.

Ah yes, of course, Devonport ;).

Thanks for mentioning it - worth bearing in mind.