PDA

View Full Version : Methodists

patricia52
13-06-2006, 2:06 PM
Hi Mary I was really surprised to find who I think is my dads uncle Samuel Haden Edwards in your list. Can you tell me how I can find any info on this chap. ie where he was a lay preacher. I know he married in a Primitive methodist church I think in Dartford. His dad and grandad were preachers so it would make sense. Many thanks pat

mary elms
13-06-2006, 7:13 PM
Hello Pat,

You've reminded me that I really ought to finish this index!

Who's Who in Methodism 1933 contains the following entry -

EDWARDS, Samuel Haden, b. 1872 at Camberwell, (P.), ed. Caterham, m. Flora Johanna Sanchertin, of Switzerland, three s. three d. Master Butcher, L.P.; Del. to Conf. (3 times); Soc. Stwd.; Cir. Stwd.; Town Coun; many Comms. Spl. Int. Public Work; Cricket; Golf; Bowls. Address "Carisbrooke," 58 Grove Park, Camberwell, S.E.5 Tel Brixton 1427; 2768

Looks like he was a busy man!

The abreviations are -

b = born, P = Primitive Methodist, ed = educated, m = married, s = sons, d = daughters, LP = Local Preacher, Del = Delegate, Conf = Conference, Soc = Society, Stwd = Steward, Cir = Circuit, Coun = Council or Councillor, Comms = Committees, Spl Int = Special interests

contd .........

mary elms
13-06-2006, 7:46 PM
It doesn't say which church or circuit he was in. The simplest way to find out for sure is to see if any of the circuit plans have survived for this area. As a preacher his name will be on the plan. As a delegate to Conference the Conference Minutes might also be somewhere to look but you'd have to trawl through the likely years until you find him. The Methodist Archives in Manchester have a collection of plans as well as other material -

http://rylibweb.man.ac.uk/data1/dg/text/method.html

This page has some useful information about finding out about Methodist Ancestors -

http://rylibweb.man.ac.uk/data1/dg/methodist/methguid.html

Edit:The Methodist Archives and Research Centre seems to have gone off line which means that the above links are not currently working. I will update this if I find out more. A 'Select list of libraries and archives with Methodist holdings' can be found on the Methodist Heritage site at -

http://www.forsaith-oxon.demon.co.uk...libraries.html

Mary.

Andrew Mead
20-01-2007, 6:17 PM
Mary - Can you give me any further information on Lander Elvin COMLEY?
There were two of them - one was an outfitter in St Ives, Cornwall, and the other became Vicar of Walsgrave nr Coventry.
Thanks
Andrew

mary elms
20-01-2007, 7:08 PM
Hello Andrew,

I can't help you with your Anglican clergyman but your Cornish Methodist has the following entry in Who's Who in Methodism 1933 -

COMLY, Lander Elvin (U) b. 1854 at Abercarne. ed. Hereford. m Martha Curnow, of St Ives, three s. Retired. Trustee and Cir Stwd.; S.S.Teacher and Supt. since 1872.Toun Coun.; J.P. Spl. Int., Civic Affairs. Address The Cliffe, St Ives, Cornwall.

Abbreviations -
U = United Methodist
b = born
ed = educated
m = married
s = sons
Cir Stwd = Circuit Steward
S.S. = Sunday School
Toun Coun = I'm guessing this is town councillor - coun is definately council or councillor - I suspect the other is a typo
J.P. = Justice of the Peace
Supt = Superintendant
Spl Int = Special Interests

Mary.

Andrew Mead
21-01-2007, 5:30 PM
Many thanks - this is the elder of the two and father to the other Lander Elvin Comley. Why they were called Lander Elvin, I haven't got a clue, but it was the name Lander Snr's father used to escape his creditors!
Andrew

wendy james
28-08-2007, 2:26 AM
Dear Mary:
You have listed John Fennell. Do you have any more information on him?
Wendy

mary elms
28-08-2007, 6:07 AM
Wendy,

The entry reads -

FENNELL, John. b at Coventry. (W.) m Catharine Jane Lines, one s. two d. Retired Pianoforte Dealer. All Offices except Poor Stwd. City Coun (11). Address 2 Sir Thomas White Rd., Coventry. Tel. 4762

The abbreviations are as printed and mean -

b = born
W. = Wesleyan
m = married
s. = sons
d. = daughters
Stwd. = steward
Coun = Council or Councillor

Sounds like a busy man!

Mary.

shortypants
13-09-2007, 6:27 PM
Hi Mary

I see you have listed a John Harrison Gould - that's the name of my paternal granddad who I never met (he died when my Dad was 13). I have hardly any information about him but I know he would have been 25 in 1933 - would that be the right kind of age? Please, do you have any more information on him or could you point me in the right direction to find it myself so I can see if it is him? Thank you so much.

mary elms
24-09-2007, 2:08 PM
Shortypants,

The entry reads -

GOULD, John Harrison, b. 1864, (P), Auctioneer and Estate Agent; Local Assurance Director, J.P., Fellow of Auctioneers' Inst. Address "Cashelbeg," 64 Bath Rd., Reading. Tel 2859

The abbreviations are as printed and mean -

b = born
P = Primitive Methodist
J.P. = Justice of the Peace
Inst = Institute

Mary.

MarkJ
24-09-2007, 2:32 PM
Mary,
There isn't a Richard Trenerry anywhere in the Methodist information you have by any chance? It would be prior to the 1933 entries, probably around 1908 or so.

Mark

mary elms
24-09-2007, 3:02 PM
No, sorry Mark.

If he's a Wesleyan minister then you need to get to look at a copy of Hall's Arrangement. Finding someone in this book is a bit like finding someone on the census in that you have to trawl through it and it helps to know where the person lived and worked. It only contains Wesleyan ministers and is indexed in circuit name order. Each circuit then has a list of the ministers who served there and the dates when they did so. It therefore tells you where each minister lived and worked if you search through. There are therefore quite a number of references to any one minister dotted through the book as Methodist ministers moved around a lot.

If he's a United Methodsit Minister or a Primitive Methodist Minister then you might find him in Hill's Arrangement (a different book) which contains lists of Wesleyan, United and Primitive Methodist ministers.

If he's a Local Preacher or a lay church office holder then you need to know where he lived. If you do then you might be able to find references to him on the preaching plan or in the minutes of the quarterly trustees meeting etc. Finding these depends on how good the chapels were at keeping their records safe. They're sometimes kept at the local archives. If you're lucky enough to find him in these then you might get some idea of his views and priorites (depending on how the secretary recorded information) but be prepared for a long search.

A 'Select list of libraries and archives with Methodist holdings' can be found on the Methodist Heritage site at -

http://www.forsaith-oxon.demon.co.uk/methodist-heritage/libraries.html

My parents have a copy of Hall's Arrangement and I would be happy to look through it for you but I may not be able to do so before Christmas.

Mary.

MarkJ
24-09-2007, 3:15 PM
Thanks for the information Mary. He wasn't a minister, but he was a Sunday School teacher at Rose in Vale Chapel, so it *may* be that he was a lay preacher - I wouldn't be surprised. I have a photo of the teachers from 1909 I think it is on which Richard is shown. Day to day, he was a farmer at Rose, near Perranporth in Cornwall. He isn't someone I have researched a great deal - yet I have lots of little snippets of information about him such as the photo and a will.
I will have a look around and see what I can discover.

Many thanks for your time,
Mark

shortypants
28-09-2007, 6:58 AM
Thank you for you help Mary, much appreciated :)

karen drury
18-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Hi. I am hoping you may help. My GG uncle was a William H Price. He preached in Brecon and Tredegar. I have a newspaper article regarding he's death. However it is not clear if he had any immediate family or where he was living. It mentions he preached when he visited Tredegar and he died in 1931. Any help to find out more would be appreciated. Apparently family stories say that people came from miles to hear him.
Thanks
Karen