PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on Dial-Up?

Mary Young
29-09-2004, 7:54 PM
Starting a new thread (part of the learning curve)!
Is anyone on dial-up trying out this Forum? I would be interested to hear their reaction.

Tomp
29-09-2004, 8:23 PM
Mary

Yes I am on dial-up and the biggest problem for me of course is no one can reach me on the phone as long as I am on-line. I wish there was some way to download the messages as you can in e-mail. This is the first message board I've used so I'm still trying to learn.

Tomp

Mary Young
29-09-2004, 8:34 PM
Hi, Tom
I know the feeling :-( Am on broadband now, but was on dialup for a long time. Apart from hogging the line, how is your speed (or lack of it)?
You could read my other thread "Can I Download Individual Messages". Apparently, if you subscribe to a thread, you can request notification of new messages by email (notification includes the message). But I'm not convinced you get each and every one. And of course, you have to access the forum and read the thread so you can subscribe!
I must say, if you are on a few email Lists, and scanning a lot of mail every day, it's much quicker to download and then work off-line.

Roche
02-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Is anyone on dial-up trying out this Forum? I would be interested to hear their reaction. Hello,Mary and members
This would only be of use to members in the UK
for cheaper dialup calls you would need to adjust your dialup modem no placing 18866 at the front of your present dialup no and you can dial for 0.5ppm 24/7 this also works with all your phone calls there is a 1p connection fee found this tip from the BBC Martins Money tips to get the site just google or go striaght to the site, the URL is

http://18866.co.uk

I use Broadband but use this service for all my phone calls, it works on BT.Cable Mobile hope these two sites help you to save money so the savings you make can be used to buy archive CD's just a thought.

Regards
Roche

John
02-10-2004, 2:02 PM
Is anyone on dial-up trying out this Forum? I would be interested to hear their reaction.

Hi Mary, yes I'm on dial up and by 'eck, it can be so slow I forget where I'm trying to go.
I really don't think my purse will allow me to spend too much time here. :(

John

Mary Young
02-10-2004, 6:18 PM
Hi, Roche and John
That sounds a great tip to save money (for those of us in UK). But alas doesn't speed thing up!
And Hi, John
Does your "by 'eck" indicate you're a careful Yorkshireman? Just like my mam :-)
Yes, I had a feeling that reading this Board on dialup would be like stirring black treacle!
Regards,

Docwras
02-10-2004, 6:56 PM
I don't find it slow at all, and I'm on a dial-up that is shared between three networked users, all of whom are online at the same time normally! :rolleyes:

Just picking up on the earlier comments about saving money on phone calls, (in the UK) you can opt for a 24/7 provider where you pay a flat-rate fee rather than per minute. Mine's Freenetname and I pay £12.50 a month and can connect anytime and as often and for as long as I like for that. Makes a fool of paying by the minute when time runs away with you! :cool:

BTW the 18866 service FAQ says this about Internet access numbers:

Q. Can I access the internet via 18866?
A. No, unfortunately this is not possible. Internet providers offer dial up services using special access numbers which cannot be dialled using 18866.

John
03-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Hi, Roche and John

And Hi, John
Does your "by 'eck" indicate you're a careful Yorkshireman? Just like my mam :-)
Yes, I had a feeling that reading this Board on dialup would be like stirring black treacle!
Regards,

Nay lass, wrong side of the hills. I'm a Lanky lad, exiled in Norfolk but planning my escape back to Lancashire.
Knitting fog comes to mind too.
It's a great shame really, I can see a huge potential but the slowness of moving around and the ability to not be able to find things is a tad, er, well you know.

I think I've misunderstood the function of the "new post" button as well, I understood that this would show me all new posts to the system, however it only shows me posts made to the threads I'm subscribed to and as I get notification anyway, that doesn't seem to help much.

[later]I have since had notification of some new messages on boards that I'm I can see a huge potential but the slowness of moving around and the ability to not be able to find things is a tad, er, well you know.

I think I've misunderstood the function of the "new post" button as well, I understood that this would show me all new posts to the system, however it only shows me posts made to the threads I'm subscribed to and as I get notification anyway, that doesn't seem to help much.

[later]I have since had notification of some new messages on boards that I'm I can see a huge potential but the slowness of moving around and the ability to not be able to find things is a tad, er, well you know.

[later]I have since had notification of some new messages on boards that I'm not subscribed to, but not others.

John

John
03-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Just picking up on the earlier comments about saving money on phone calls, (in the UK) you can opt for a 24/7 provider where you pay a flat-rate fee rather than per minute. Mine's Freenetname and I pay £12.50 a month and can connect anytime and as often and for as long as I like for that. Makes a fool of paying by the minute when time runs away with you! :cool:

:

It isn't just a financial consideration, though at the moment as I'm in gypsy mode, I don't have the alternative to by the minute access. My time is limited and what time I have to spend on family history I would rather use for more productive purposes than waiting for boards to down load.

John

Mary Young
03-10-2004, 1:00 PM
My time is limited and what time I have to spend on family history I would rather use for more productive purposes than waiting for boards to download.
Hi, John

My feeling exactly! And even on broadband, I find the Boards extremely tedious.

A thought on notification of new postings, I wonder if you do get them all? At the bottom of the notification is this message "There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again."

I must say, that after a few days of testing this format, given the choice I still prefer to downliad List Mail.

Docwras
03-10-2004, 1:04 PM

I must say, that after a few days of testing this format, given the choice I still prefer to downliad List Mail.

I suppose that it boils down to what suits each individual - lists don't suit everyone and neither do boards. Surely if we accept that there's a need for both and use what suits us personally then everyone will be happy? Originally I did prefer lists as well, but over the last couple of years I've come to prefer using boards - as the saying goes, "Horses for courses!" ;)

Mary Young
03-10-2004, 1:20 PM
Yes, of course you're right - I wasn't implying that people shouldn't be using Boards. Just that I've learned in the past few days (having tried my best!), that they don't suit me personally.
Regards

John
03-10-2004, 1:21 PM
Hi, John

A thought on notification of new postings, I wonder if you do get them all? At the bottom of the notification is this message "There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again."

Hi Mary
I was talking more of the button at the top of the page "new posts" which seems to show some new posts but not all. It does show me some new posts on boards that I'm not subscribed to, but not others, for instance, I thought originally that I'd subscribed to this thread but only picked up on your reply by visiting the board, I recieved no notification and your message did not appear when I clicked on "new posts"

One of my early concerns er to downliad List Mail.[/QUOTE]

Hi Mary
I was talking more of the button at the top of the page "new posts" which seems to show some new posts but not all. It does show me some new posts on boards that I'm not subscribed to, but not others, for instance, I thought originally that I'd subscribed to this thread but only picked up on your reply by visiting the board, I recieved no notification and your message did not appear when I clicked on "new posts"

One of my early concerns about email notifications was whether these boards would be like others where you had to click through a notification message to receive further notifications. It does appear that rather than having to make an occasional visit to the list archives to check for lost messages, we now also have to check the boards for lost notifications.

John

John
03-10-2004, 1:30 PM
I suppose that it boils down to what suits each individual - lists don't suit everyone and neither do boards. Surely if we accept that there's a need for both and use what suits us personally then everyone will be happy? Originally I did prefer lists as well, but over the last couple of years I've come to prefer using boards - as the saying goes, "Horses for courses!" ;)

And boards or lists, there is nowt wrong with wanting them to be as good and useful as they possibly can be.
Though I am still very much pro list, I can see ways in which boards such as these could be far superior to lists.
Look upon a moan such as this not just as a general "agh, it's new and scary, I don't like it" whinge, but a "lets see what the glitches are and try to resolve them" while the whole kit and caboddle is still of a manageable size.

John

John
03-10-2004, 1:38 PM
posted my last message just as my browser had a hissy fit and inadvertantly sent the message again. "oh no" says the system "you can't post two messages inside 30 seconds" Golly, I thought, must tell that one and promptly tried to resend the same message, only to be told I couldn't cos I already had! An end to all those embarassing moments when we drivel on repeating our selves. :D

John