PDA

View Full Version : Cave and Hill Families, Bridgwater

bicker
25-11-2004, 2:29 PM
Interested in anyone with any of the Cave family from Bridgwater in their family tree. Connections with Chard, Wareham and some of the family went to Canada. Has connections with the Hill family.
Many thanks, Heather.

kitch
11-03-2005, 4:50 AM
I am also looking for information on the Hills of Bridgwater. My lineage can be confirmed back to about 1810 with William Hill who married Maria Bryant 1832. Their first child (don't know of others but they probably did) was William Francis Hill, b. 1833 in Bridgwater. He married in 1857 to Emma Moss, b. 1839 in Bristol. They had 13 children: William F.(1858), Walter(1859), Charles Henry(1862), George(1864), Henry(1866),Edward (1867), Nathaniel J. (1869), Alfred(1message=I am also looking for information on the Hills of Bridgwater. My lineage can be confirmed back to about 1810 with William Hill who married Maria Bryant 1832. Their first child (don't know of others but they probably did) was William Francis Hill, b. 1833 in Bridgwater. He married in 1857 to Emma Moss, b. 1839 in Bristol. They had 13 children: William F.(1858), Walter(1859), Charles Henry(1862), George(1864), Henry(1866),Edward (1867), Nathaniel J. (1869), Alfred(1871), James (1873), Emma (1875), Henry/Harry(1877), Kate (1880), Frank (1883).

Of these 13, we know William F. went to Australia, Walter was a postman in Bridgwater and died there in 1906, and Harry came to Canada, eventually moving to Vancouver. My lineage is through Walter Hill and his wife Sarah Ann Court. They had 11 children, 2 of whom died in Bridgwater, and the other 9 came to Canada 1910-14. It seems so strange that all ties have been severed with the family con871), James (1873), Emma (1875), Henry/Harry(1877), Kate (1880), Frank (1883).

Of these 13, we know William F. went to Australia, Walter was a postman in Bridgwater and died there in 1906, and Harry came to Canada, eventually moving to Vancouver. My lineage is through Walter Hill and his wife Sarah Ann Court. They had 11 children, 2 of whom died in Bridgwater, and the other 9 came to Canada 1910-14. It seems so strange that all ties have been severed with the family considering all the aunts and uncles that existed from such a large family.

Any Hill info. would be great and would likewise share what I have here.

bicker
15-03-2005, 3:37 PM
Hi there

I dont think that my Hill family can any connections I can see with yours. Our John Hill was born between 1813 and 1820 at North Curry, which is a few miles from Bridgwater. He had 7 or 8 children with his first wife, six born in Bridgwater and then got together with Susannah Cave nee Banfield and had a further 5 children. I think Susannahs husband had left her and although she called herself Hill, I can not find a marriage for John and Susannah, or a death for her previous husband.

There was a Thomas Hill born about 1806 at Bridgwater that married Agness Cave, who was the widow of George Cave, he could have possibly been brother to your William born abt 1810. I live in Somerset, not too many miles from the local records office, so can check next time I go there.

Looking back at the newspaper fiche in the library at Bridgwater, there were many adverts for passages to Canada. Several of the Cave family left England and settled in Canada. They settled in Swift Current, Saskatoon, Vancouver and one family in Calgary. There are still dozens of the Hill family that live around the Bridgwater area, which is not surprising as there were such large families of them!!

I have some of the 1891 and 1901 census for Bridgwater if you do not have them.

Best wishes
Heather

kitch
15-03-2005, 8:17 PM
Thanks for the reply. Doesn't look like a connection does it!? This is tentative, however, we are theorising that Wm. Hill (b. about 1728), in Dulverton, married Sarah Bullover (b. about 1732) also of Dulverton. They produced (yet another) William Hill, born about 1754. We don't know to whom he was married, however, it appears as though he had Samuel Hill b. about 1772 in Dulverton. he married Hannah (?) and they produced the William Hill the bootmaker mentioned in my first reply, b. about 1810. Our biggest problem now is determining who the siblings were of the 1810 William Hill or his son William Francis Hill. Hills seem to breed like rabbits (I know, my wife is pregnant with our third!) that there must have been siblings here somewhere which could help trace this, but they remain elusive. Esp. difficult when William seems to be used almost every generation and one finds just too many William Hills cropping up everywhere. How to tell them apart?

If you are at the records office and see anything that ties your Thomas to my William it would be appreciated.

Thanks for your efforts. If you do find a connection I can help fill in Canadian Hills for you!

kitch

bicker
18-03-2005, 7:01 PM
Hello...

Many thanks for the message, this is a good lead for me to check out. Susannah Banfield was baptised at Bridgwater in 1825, Father William Banfield, he was decd at the time of her marriage to James Cave at Marylebone.

Susannah and three children were in the workhouse at Marylebone in 1853, but her son Edwin Cave died at Eastover, Bridgwater in September 1859. Possibly James deserted her and she 'came home' to Bridgwater. She gave birth to a daughter Sarah Hill at Bristol Road, Bridgwater 25 July 1860. I think this could well be 'my Susan Cave'. If so, this narrows down the time she changed from Cave to Hill!! (possibly)

Many thanks for taking the time to look at the certificate.
Best wishes Heather

Stewart
23-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Hi there
I have details of a Thomas Hill (born 18th Jan 1816 in Otterhampton, Somerset) whose second marriage was to Agnes Cave (born c1822 in Bridgwater, Somerset). They married 4th Jun 1876.

Thomas Hill was orginally married to Martha Blake.

Stewart

bicker
29-03-2005, 9:41 AM
Hi Stewart

Thank you for the information, date and first wife. Agnes Cave was the widow of George Cave. She was baptised Agnes Norman on the 4th April 1824 at Fiddington nr Bridgwater. This is not my Cave line, but I looked up the info for another relation that I read about via the Cave Family History Society. Will look up Thomas Hill next time at the records office.

Many thanks
Heather (Cave by marriage)

kitch
10-05-2005, 1:37 AM
Heather you mentioned you had part of the 1901 census and if so, could you have a look at it for me please. Regular paths have run into brick walls on my specific branch of the family tree but hoped this may be a way around it by tracing it through gr.gr aunts and uncles and see if their descendants are around. Here goes, any info. marriages etc:

Alfred Hill b. 1871 bricklayers labourer
James Hill b. 1873 plasterer
Emma Hill b. 1875 linen collar ironer?
Harry Hill b. 1876 brickyard labourer
Kate Hill b. 1880 linen collar maker
Frank Hill b. 1883 bricklayer

The above stayed in Bridgwater for a time anyway. Harry came to Canada and after 2 of his sons were killed during WW2 my family lost track of he and his wife and their last son. Another brother Nathaniel J. went to London and was a butler by 1901 but family details are unknown. This may be a-round- about of finding Hills but any help is appreciated.

thanks

bicker
12-05-2005, 4:22 PM
Hi there

Sorry the reply has been a while!!

West Street in Bridgwater was a real Hill stronghold in 1901. All the Hills are born in Bridgwater unless indicated otherwise

106 West Street

Albert Hill Head aged 55 Bricklayer
Elizabeth Hill Wife aged 58
Bertie Hill son aged 21 plumber
Florrie Hill Daughter aged 17 linen collar worker

108 West Street

Jane Cook widow Head aged 79 retired dress maker
Agnes Hill boarder aged 12
Maria Hill boarder aged 6

110 West Street

Walter Hill Head aged 41 Postman
Sarah A Hill Wife aged 39 b North Petherton
Walter Hill Son aged 15 apprentice gas fitter
Hubert Hill Son aged 13 apprentice tin ?
Edgar Hill Son aged 10
William Hill Son aged 8
Iris Hill Daughter aged 3
George Hill Son aged 1

116 West Street

William Hill Head&nbsp%3: 0px">Agnes Hill boarder aged 12
Maria Hill boarder aged 6

110 West Street

Walter Hill Head aged 41 Postman
Sarah A Hill Wife aged 39 b North Petherton
Walter Hill Son aged 15 apprentice gas fitter
Hubert Hill Son aged 13 apprentice tin ?
Edgar Hill Son aged 10
William Hill Son aged 8
Iris Hill Daughter aged 3
George Hill Son aged 1

116 West Street

William Hill Head aged 67 shoemaker
Emma Hill Wife aged 62 linen collar maker b Bristol
Kate Hill daughter aged 21 linen collar maker
Frank Hill Son aged 18 Bricklayer

West Street

Alfred Hill Head aged 30 Brickard labourer
Florence A Hill Wife aged 29
Fred A Hill Son aged 5
Harold Hill Son aged 3
Florence Hill Daughter aged 4 months

West Street

Albert E Hill Head aged 29 plasterer
Eliza B aged 67 shoemaker
Emma Hill Wife aged 62 linen collar maker b Bristol
Kate Hill daughter aged 21 linen collar maker
Frank Hill Son aged 18 Bricklayer

West Street

Alfred Hill Head aged 30 Brickard labourer
Florence A Hill Wife aged 29
Fred A Hill Son aged 5
Harold Hill Son aged 3
Florence Hill Daughter aged 4 months

West Street

Albert E Hill Head aged 29 plasterer
Eliza Hill Wife aged 28
Albert J Hill Son aged 3

Nextdoor on census

Harry Hill Head aged 24 Brichlayer
Annie Hill Wife aged 20
Henry J Hill Son aged 1

West Street No 18 court / 7 Possibly flats?

James Hill Head aged 27 plasterer
Hester Hill Wife aged 27
James Hill Son aged 2

I have yet to search out any marriages as I have not been to the records office for a while.

Best wishes
Heather

kitch
12-05-2005, 10:25 PM
Heather thank you ever so much for the info, far more info. than I expected and can't say thanks enough. You know it's good info. because now it raises even more questions! Of that generation there were 13 children, one went to Australia, one came to Canada, one died in Bridgwater (Walter the postman, my gr. grandfather) and the rest are unaccounted for. When my grandfather came to Canada, he was in contact with Harry who had come here, but after two of his 3 sons were killed in WW2, the families lost touch. We have been exchanging info. with the Australian branch, but, it just seems strange that of the 10 other siblings who stayed in England (?) no one stayed in touch with the Canadian side of the family. Frustrating too. And the presence of an Albert Hill next to "my" Hills make me wonder if he is a brother of William Francis Hill the shoemaker, and therefore my gr.gr.gr uncle. Thanks again for the all the work on my behalf. Now it's time to digest it and see where thisilled in WW2, the families lost touch. We have been exchanging info. with the Australian branch, but, it just seems strange that of the 10 other siblings who stayed in England (?) no one stayed in touch with the Canadian side of the family. Frustrating too. And the presence of an Albert Hill next to "my" Hills make me wonder if he is a brother of William Francis Hill the shoemaker, and therefore my gr.gr.gr uncle. Thanks again for the all the work on my behalf. Now it's time to digest it and see where this lead takes us!

Vivien Rice
13-11-2005, 9:44 PM
Kitch,

This looks like your William F. HILL who went to Australia:

CORNELIAN BAY CEMETERY, HOBART, TASMANIA, AUSTRALIA
(Church of England, Section O)

HILL William Francis
born Bridgwater, Somerset, England
died 24 December 1924 aged 66 years
also Amy Maria, wife of the above
died 24 September 1940 aged 79 years
also Charles Leslie
infant son of the above
diedmessage=Kitch,

This looks like your William F. HILL who went to Australia:

CORNELIAN BAY CEMETERY, HOBART, TASMANIA, AUSTRALIA
(Church of England, Section O)

HILL William Francis
born Bridgwater, Somerset, England
died 24 December 1924 aged 66 years
also Amy Maria, wife of the above
died 24 September 1940 aged 79 years
also Charles Leslie
infant son of the above
died 10 July 1888

Vivien
Hobart, Tasmania

kitch
15-11-2005, 1:56 AM
Thank you for the info. As luck would have it, we have found William F. and his descendants in Australia (or rather they found us) but really appreciate your efforts. We traced William F. to Australia, Walter (my gr. grandfather) who died in Bridgwater, their younger brother Harry to Canada. Now it's the other 10 children we need to account for! Ironically, the one Harry who came to Canada ahead of my grandfather, is also lost to my "Canadian" Hill lineage. Seems weird that we lose the Bridgwater Hill lineage, the Canadian Hill lineage, yet our Australian cousins find us and ask us "whatever happened to...." Bridgwater Hills, where are you? Thanks again for the info., it is appreciated very much.

Piperbobby
17-01-2012, 1:17 PM
I am also looking into the hills and my research currently ends at Walter hill b31 Oct 1859 and Sara Ann Court my wifes grandmother is one of their daughters Maria Hill

kitch
23-01-2012, 3:07 AM
I cannot place the Cave family in my tree. What Hills are you connected to? It might jog my memory.