PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Lists

O Sansom
25-09-2007, 5:10 PM
I've finally found the Tantallon Castle passenger list of 1901 which shows my grandmother en route to Natal. My puzzle... Although British born and raised in England, as was my grandfather... she is shown in the 'Foreigners' column rather than 'English, Scotch or Irish' as is my grandfather on a different list. My grandfather seems to have gone back and forth between South Africa and England a few times but so far as I know they were always British citizens. Any suggestions, other than just plain awkwardness of their part?

Davran
25-09-2007, 9:24 PM
Have you looked for them in the 1901 UK census? If they were in the UK then the census should give their place of birth. If you give us their names and year of birth, someone should be able to look for you if you don't have easy access to censuses.

O Sansom
26-09-2007, 4:27 PM
Thanks for your reply. Oh yes, I have their birth certificates - Surrey, England - and their ancestors back to the 1700s all in England and they're on all the appropriate Census' except 1901 which is when Grandfather was working in South Africa and Grandmother went to join him. My Father was born in South Africa in January 1902 and I have his Birth Certificate from Pretoria and they were all settled back in Surrey, England again soon after his birth and before his sister was born in Surrey, England, in 1903. I'm just trying to fill in gaps now more information about South Africa is available (i.e. digitized passenger lists) and just found the 'Foreigners' bit puzzling. Knowing them, they were probably just being cussed!

Olive (Vancouver, B.C.) -
Surname interests - Fretwell, Fewell, Mannall, Carr, Carter, Dell and Blakesly.