PDA

View Full Version : ag labs united

Davran
23-09-2007, 4:42 PM
I'm putting this one here as there is no forum for "recommended books" (hint, hint, Bo-peep ;))

I've nearly finished reading a great little book about the Swing riots of 1830, entitled "Captain Swing in Sussex and Kent - rural rebellion in 1830" by Mike Matthews.

Here is the blurb:

The year is 1830. A state of anarchy terrorises Sussex and Kent. Panic-stricken landowners cower behind bolted doors. Cottagers tremble for their lives as farm machinery is smashed to smithereens. In a furious frenzy of fire-raising, roving gangs of incendiarists, disguised behind blackened faces, set barns ablaze. Petrified farmers receive blood-chilling, anonymous letters, threatening to roast them alive in their beds. The search is on for the bandit leader. CAPTAIN SWING - WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE!

Review by Geoffrey Mead, Univ of Sussex: "Presents the untold story of rural class war in the souteast, in a style accessible to readers of all ages"

...cont'd

Davran
23-09-2007, 4:46 PM
Part 2.

It's really interesting and easy to read. I studied the agrarian revolution at 'O' level, but we were never taught about these riots - it's quite an eye-opener and gives a good insight into the terrible plight of ag labs in the early part of the 19th century. This particular book is slanted towards the southeast, but the riots took place all over the country.

It's published by The Hastings Press