PDA

View Full Version : DUGALD CAMPBELL b. about 1826 in Lanarkshire

Trent C
22-09-2007, 6:37 PM
Please help me learn about my great-grandfather who married a woman named either Margaret or Annie Lorey from Ireland. I'm not sure of the spelling of "Lorey". They were presumably married about the time of their emigration to the States in about 1854. There is a "Dugald" with a mother "Janet" in one or more of the censuses in 1841 and 1851. They had eight children, all born in the USA, starting with Duncan and Janet/Jeanette in Rhode Island and Clara in Massachusetts. The remaining five were born in New York State. Dugald was listed as an iron moulder in the early Scotland and U. S. federal censuses. He later became a saloon keeper in the U. S. and, in his later years, he edited a periodical dedicated to temperance.

Mary Young
23-09-2007, 9:59 AM
Please help me learn about my great-grandfather who married a woman named either Margaret or Annie Lorey from Ireland. I'm not sure of the spelling of "Lorey". They were presumably married about the time of their emigration to the States in about 1854. There is a "Dugald" with a mother "Janet" in one or more of the censuses in 1841 and 1851. They had eight children, all born in the USA, starting with Duncan and Janet/Jeanette in Rhode Island and Clara in Massachusetts. The remaining five were born in New York State. Dugald was listed as an iron moulder in the early Scotland and U. S. federal censuses.
I couldn't find Dugald Campbell in 1841, do you have details for that census?
Apparently he was already married by 1851
1851 census 45 Meuse Lane, Glasgow Barony, Lanark
DUGALD CAMPBELL head, iron moulder age 25 born Lanark
MARGARET CAMPBELL wife, age 18 born Ireland
(Dougald's mother, Janet Campbell, wasn't with them - at least, she wasn't enumerated on the same page.)

Trent C
25-09-2007, 9:18 PM
Thank you, Mary. Somewhere I found a family group which included John Campbell (b. ~ 1820), Margaret Campbell (also b. ~ 1820), Peter Campbell (also b. ~ 1820), Donald Campbell (b. ~ 1826), Colin Campbell (b. ~ 1828), as well as (I think my) Dugald Campbell (also b. ~ 1826), with a Margaret Gray (b. ~ 1815) thrown in. I can't find the source for that right now. I appreciate your interest and would welcome any help you might be able to provide.

Mary Young
25-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks for pointer! Interesting household.
1841 11 Hopetown Place, St Mungo Parish, Glasgow.
All born in Scotland. Ages 16-19 were rounded down to 15, so can't assume the 15-year olds were twins.
Janet Campbell 50 independent [i.e. independent means]
John Campbell 20 preacher
Margaret Campbell 20 independent
Peter Campbell 20 writer
Dugald Campbell 15 cl [?]
Donald Campbell 15 student
Colin Campbell 13 student
Margaret Gray 25 f.s. [?female servant]
Hope this helps.