PDA

View Full Version : Baptist Records

Sunpat
22-09-2007, 5:58 PM
Hello

I'm interested in Baptist records for Charlbury, Oxfordshire c1920 as I'm looking for information about my relative's life and, according to the Press, she was a Sunday School teacher.
Does anyone know if it is likely that information about an active member's life would be noted in the church records?
I have been unable to find information about a Baptist Church presently in Charlbury.

As always, many thanks, Sunpat

Geoffers
22-09-2007, 7:26 PM
I Don't know about its records, but the Baptist Church stands at the top of Dyer's Hill (The Burford Road) in Charlbury.

Geoffers

Geoffers
22-09-2007, 7:42 PM
PS - Do you want a photo of the church?

What was the lady's name? There are some headstones in the Baptist churchyard, but I don't think there are any from the 20th century.

Geoffers

Sunpat
25-09-2007, 4:44 PM
Hi Geoffers
Thank you for the information about the Baptist Church in Charlbury.

The lady in question is one you have already helped me with, Evelyn Clara PICKETT, when you kindly sent me photographs of Charlbury graves - she drowned at the Beating of the Bounds in 1924.

I've found phone numbers for local Baptist ministers and will get in touch with them about the church records.
Sunpat

LittleMissP
07-10-2008, 4:20 PM
I know this thread is old now, but in case people are still reading it then I thought I'd post the following.

There is a book called "My Ancestors Were Baptists" by Geoffrey R Breed (Society of Genealogists, 2002). It lists Baptist churches and where various records are held, plus some useful general information about Baptism and it's history in the UK. I bought my copy at the National Archives, but I'm sure there are other places it can be obtained.

Unfortunately I cannot find a reference to Charlbury in there, though it refers to a directory which list all churches and ministers. It was called The Baptist Handbook from 1861 to 1972, then it changed it's name to the Baptist Union Directory.

Hope this helps someone!