PDA

View Full Version : Mutton - Southill

Dolly
24-11-2004, 6:00 PM
I have Thomas Mutton in Glos in 1851 born circa 1796 in Southill Cornwall, I've searched the IGI but nothing found, has anyone got Muttons from Cornwall in their Trees?

Sharon
24-11-2004, 6:04 PM
I have Thomas Mutton in Glos in 1851 born circa 1796 in Southill Cornwall, I've searched the IGI but nothing found, has anyone got Muttons from Cornwall in their Trees? There is a Thomas MUTTON baptised in Southhill 3rd May 1795 to a Joseph and Ann

Dolly
24-11-2004, 6:42 PM
That's him Sharon, thanks. He called a son Joseph & a daughter Ann. I am doing this for a friend and she will be so pleased

Mike Mutton
10-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Dear Dolly,

When you say you have a Thomas Mutton in Gloucester c. 1851 do you mean the 1851 census? My family line originally came from Southill and a Thomas Mutton born there in 1794.
He moved into the Stroud area c. 1820 where he married a Hannah Bennet at Minchhampton 13/2/1820. They had 7 children altogether in Rodborough. In the 1851 census my Thomas Mutton pops up and was living at 8, Sherborne Street, Cheltenham with his wife Hannah and childen Thomas 21, William 17, Caroline 12 and John 8. It is from this second Thomas from which I am descended. With regard to the posting by Sharon. The Thomas she refers to born to Joseph & Ann in 1795 died in 1800 so he can't be your Thomas.

Regards

Mike

Dolly
10-01-2005, 1:42 PM
Mike
Thank you so much for your posting.

Yes I had worked out the correct Thomas Mutton in Southill, as you did. I am doing this tree for a friend, I'll pass on the info that she has a cousin on this forum. I have all the info that you have in Gloucestershire. I have 1841, 1851, 1871, 1891, 1900 for her ancestors I do not seem to have 1861 though I have that census, I'l have to get my paperwork out.
All the above census images are scanned onto my pc. My friend is descended from Joseph Mutton, child of Thomas Mutton & Hannah Bennett. I'm a little strapped for time this month because of work, however if you have more than me or want anything that I have then we can exchange, I have an Ancestry subscription if that would help you? I'll check my paperwork re 1861 or look through the cd when I have time. I have Thomas first's parents in Southill as Joseph Mutton & Ann Tucker marr 12th April 1794. Do you agree? have you anything prior to then?
My friend pops in from time to time, we have to sort out some certificate ordering when she comes next time, this was started as a joke while we were having lunch one day and she remarked that she would love to trace her mother's family, in an hour I showed her what could be achieved online & from census cds!. An Aunt has told her that the Mutton name comes from the Huguenots, being "Mouton" originally. Now the family has had a taster they want the whole shebang!

Mike Mutton
12-01-2005, 2:11 PM
Dolly,

I think it would be best if I sent you a copy of the family tree of Mutton families from up here in the Reddich, Alcester, Evesham area. It was compiled about 15 to 20 years ago before the age of the internet. It traces back to 1577. It also shows the migration of our family branch, first to Rodborough then Cheltenham then Birmingham and finally Redditch. Most of the males of our line seem to be tailors. Once you are able to study the tree you will see where you are going adrift in some of you assumptions. You will also note that for some reason I have very little knowledge of Thomas and Hanna Bennette's grand children who lived in the Cheltenham area, you may be able to help here. If you want to send me your home address you have my e mail address.

Regards

Mike

ColinW
29-06-2016, 1:11 PM
Dear Mike
My name is Colin Worthington. I live in Derbyshire. I have just joined this site & forum. I am trying to trace ancestors of my friend & neighbour ( Pat Warren) who has Mutton ancestry. Genealogy is a hobby of mine and I am not 'professional' in any way.
I began with the name of her grandfather Victor George Mutton, born in Redditch around 1892. From there I traced back as far as Thomas Mutton and Hannah Bennett. Pat was told by relatives that the line began somewhere in Cornwall and ended up in the midlands, some in Stroud area. I could not find a firm link to the Cornwall ancestors - until I came across your posts!
I have not told Pat yet but I am sure she would be very pleased to know that there are other family members out there who are also working on their familytree!
My email is colinzATfreeukDOTcom
Regards
Colin Worthington

christanel
29-06-2016, 9:18 PM
Hello Colin
Unfortunately Mike is no longer a member of this forum so will not receive email notification of your reply to his post and the private messaging system cannot be used either.

If you would like help with your friend's ancestors you are welcome to pick a suitable forum and start a thread of your own. Our members will soon be on their trail I am sure.

Christina