PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard of Hunterdine?

Jeanette
24-11-2004, 12:48 PM
Can anyone help please?|help|
I have an ancestor Emma Hawkins who married a John Crowden in Tipton, Staff in 1879. On the 1881 Census John's birthplace is shown as Hunterdine, Herefordshire. In subsequent censuses it is shown as Ross, Hereford, and then only Hereford. I've searched parish lists, peered at old Maps but can't find the place. I'm also having difficulty tracing John as he was shown as Crowden on marr certificate, Crowther on 1881 & 1891 Census and Crowdes on 1901. It's not crucial to my research to know where he was born but curiosity is now getting the better of me! I would like to find his birth but again the variations in spelling have created a brickwall.:confused:

I live in hope.

Jeanette

Geoffers
24-11-2004, 2:33 PM
Can anyone help please?|help|
I have an ancestor Emma Hawkins who married a John Crowden in Tipton, Staff in 1879. On the 1881 Census John's birthplace is shown as Hunterdine, Herefordshire.
Possibly Hunderton? Not much there a 100 years ago - see the old maps website
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/gazetteer/10heref151/10heref151gazH.htm

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Jeanette
24-11-2004, 3:45 PM
Thanks for that one Geoffers.
I'd found a Huntington, Herefordshire, on "old-maps" but maybe Hunderton may be the correct place. Depending on how it was pronounced, Hunderton and Hunterdine could well be one and the same place. Now to try and track down the elusive Crowden/Crowther/Crowdes.

Many thanks

Jeanette

Geoffers
24-11-2004, 6:03 PM
Thanks for that one Geoffers.
I'd found a Huntington, Herefordshire, on "old-maps" but maybe Hunderton may be the correct place. Depending on how it was pronounced, Hunderton and Hunterdine could well be one and the same place. Now to try and track down the elusive Crowden/Crowther/Crowdes.
Jeanette
I see that the 1881 census trancript also has three Crowther entries with the birthplace shown as 'Hanterden'. In each case all are living in Staffs. I'd guess that their local accent was a bit strong for the enumerator.

Good luck
Geoffers

Jeanette
25-11-2004, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE=Geoffers]I see that the 1881 census trancript also has three Crowther entries with the birthplace shown as 'Hanterden'. In each case all are living in Staffs. I'd guess that their local accent was a bit strong for the enumerator.

Many thanks for that, Geoffers. I think you have struck gold. The Crowthers you found lived round the corner from 'my' John Crowther & family. Looks like Emma married a local lad from a family living close by and not someone for 'far away Hereford'. However a bit more researching will have to be done to confirm it one way or other, but it certainly looks promising. I agree with you Hanterden & Hunterdine coupled with local accents could sound the same to some poor enumerator. Ah well makes it all the more fun:)

Thanks again,
Jeanette

SBSFamilyhistory
06-07-2006, 11:30 PM
I thought Hunderton, part of Hereford, south of the rive wye, where I lived as a child.....so if you want any more information please ask.