PDA

View Full Version : Latin help please

wbarraclough
19-09-2007, 3:11 PM
Afraid my Latin is non existent.
I have a baptism record 1720 - Anna filia Thoma Pefrod et Alina uporia bap then it goes on with hiap or lijap

Is this a date eg April?

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee249/wbarraclough/1720b.jpg[/IMG]

Karen Newman
19-09-2007, 3:47 PM
Could 'uporia' be 'uxoria'? Uxor is wife therefore Alina is the wife of Thoma(s)?

Copper
19-09-2007, 3:52 PM
Afraid my Latin is non existent.
I have a baptism record 1720 - Anna filia Thoma Pefrod et Alina uporia bap then it goes on with hiap or lijap

Is this a date eg April?

Anna daughter of Thomas Pefrod and Alina baptised

In all of the baptisms in Latin that I have read the date comes straight after the word baptised. The hiap is the date but it can't be those letters. There should be another word there for the month unless it is at the top of the entries for that month and year.

I have not come across the word uporia before and it is not in either of my Latin books. The only thing I would expect there is the maiden name of the mother or the occupation of the husband.

Hopefully somebody else can help.

Peter Goodey
19-09-2007, 4:37 PM
I could guess but won't without seeing it. ;)

Can you please provide a scan - not just of that entry but a decent chunk of the page so we can see it in context.

wbarraclough
19-09-2007, 4:46 PM
I could guess but won't without seeing it. ;)

Can you please provide a scan - not just of that entry but a decent chunk of the page so we can see it in context.
I'm new at this! How do I send you a scan as I'm not allowed to do attachments.

Karen Newman
19-09-2007, 5:23 PM
This link at TNA has info on Latin dates....

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/latin/beginners/dating/default.htm

arthurk
19-09-2007, 6:33 PM
I'm new at this! How do I send you a scan as I'm not allowed to do attachments.
You need to upload the image to another site. Then when you're writing here, if you "insert an image" and paste in the URL we get to see it inline; if you just post the link we have to click it to go to the other site. If you don't have your own site to post it to there are various free photo sites. Photobucket is one that springs to mind, but as I don't use these myself, except to follow other people's links, I can't make any recommendations.

Arthur

Peter Goodey
19-09-2007, 6:42 PM
How do I send you a scan

There are full instructions as a sticky on the Brit-Gen Discussion forum.

wbarraclough
25-09-2007, 5:29 PM
Hi
Sorry for the delay but life interfered!
I am transcribing for Freereg and can't send a copy of the image re copyright. Will understand if you can't help me further.
There is another entry above the previous one for Anna and this is for Martinus son of Thomas and Alina bap then the entry is l19ap?
I did think of dates but isn't l = 50
All the burials for this page have no date either just 1720 at the top of the page where it gives the blurb about being a true record etc.
Thanks for the link for the dates everyone.

Geoffers
26-09-2007, 8:56 AM
Write out the whole entry as you can read it and it might be easier suggest what it reads.

Also, in your previous query, you refer to:

"Anna filia Thoma Pefrod et Alina"

As you are having some difficulty interpreting the writing, could the surname possibly be PESCOD? You give a date of 1720 - by this date italic handwriting had mostly taken over from the earlier variants of Secretary Hand - but there are often throwbacks to older styles of writing.

If this is possibly the case here and the fourth letter looks like a modern 'r' it is in fact more likely to be a lower case 'c' - if the third letter looks like a modern 'f' with a long descending loop, it may well be a lower case 's'.

The older styles of handwriting can cause problems until you are used to them, you may find this link on TNA's web-site helpful
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/palaeography/
(Note that it also gives a link to help with Latin)

Geoffers

wbarraclough
26-09-2007, 8:57 PM
Martinus filius Benjaminus Cook et Elizabetha uxoris bap li?ap
Anna filia Thoma Pescod et Alina uxoria bap liap
Gulielmus filius Thoma Spurrell et Maria uxoris bapt ?ad

Copper
26-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Martin son of Benjamin Cook and Elizabeth his wife baptised ??

Anna daughter of Thomas Pescod and Alina his wife baptised ??

William son of Thomas Spurrell and Maria his wife baptised ??

As you said the year is at the top of these entries the ?? in my translation should be the day and month but I don't recognise what you have transcribed. Is it possible that the liap could be jiap? j and i are the same thing I think and would be 1 to us. So jiap could be 2nd of April.

I am sure somebody else will be of more help.

wbarraclough
28-09-2007, 5:20 AM
Have posted a copy on the original query.

Copper
28-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Hmmm I am still struggling with it.

Geoffers
28-09-2007, 11:25 AM
The wif'es name in the entry you originally posted is Aliciae.

What you have read as bap hiap is all part of one word, baptizatus, which has here been abbreviated to 'baptizas'

Geoffers

Copper
28-09-2007, 12:56 PM
All the Latin entries I have read have been much easier to understand.

Geoffers, does this mean that these entries have no date for the baptisms?

Geoffers
28-09-2007, 3:38 PM
Geoffers, does this mean that these entries have no date for the baptisms?

I cannot see a date included - unless this is a busy parish in which several took place on one day and the date is included at the head of each day's entries.

Geoffers

wbarraclough
30-09-2007, 6:25 AM
The parish was small so the page included the bmd's for the whole parish year.
I'm new at this and always willing to learn.
Many thanks for all your help.