PDA

View Full Version : GRO deaths

Jenjen
19-09-2007, 11:28 AM
I am interested in the 5 GRO death records for Julia Richards which appear on Ancestry. If you have access to these would you please check to see if any of the five are in Yorkshire-possibly Pontefract or Barnsley area. The date would be after 1861.
Thanks Jen

Sue Mackay
19-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Er.. 70 deaths for Julia Richards on Ancestry's FreeBMD index, but narrowed down to seven when Yorkshire specified as county.

1845 Jan-Feb-Mar Pontefract

dob abt 1799 1868 Jan-Feb-Mar Bradford

dob abt 1879 1879 Oct-Nov-Dec Sheffield

dob abt 1830 1898 Oct-Nov-Dec Sculcoates

dob abt 1877 1911 Jul-Aug-Sep Ecclesall Bierlow Derbyshire, Yorkshire [sic]

dob abt 1880 1912 Jan-Feb-Mar Bradford

Julia Maria Richards dob abt 1855 1904 Jul-Aug-Sep Sheffield

If any of these look likely I can look up the reference

Jenjen
20-09-2007, 5:39 PM
Funny how the mind works or rather doesn't work! I was looking for Julia Richards. She was christened in Badsworth Nov. 1831. I have her 1841,51,61 by which time her parents and siblings(but one ) were dead. She was in Low Ackworth in 1861 aged 29. She is still young enough to have married after this-cannot find her on the 1871 census and Julias born around this time in Yorkshire, Badsworth or Thorpe Audlin are not to be found. So I thought maybe she too had died. I just did not share enough information. On Ancestry Julia Richards with a birth date of around 1831 show very few and there are 5 deaths listed. These were the ones I was refering to.
Thank you for looking them up for me. With more specific information you may have a better chance.
Thanks
Jen

Pam Downes
21-09-2007, 12:00 AM
Hi Jen,
Have you checked out the (indexed as) Julia Richard aged 38 and born in Bedworth Yorks on the 1871? There is no such place as Bedworth in Yorkshire, and the index is suspect as there is a line right through the second letter of the birthplace, so the enumerator could have written Badworth. I know the age isn't exact, but it's only one year out to that on the 1861.
1871 ref is RG10/3503 folio 64 page 17, living in the civil parish of Radford, Nottinghamshire.
Also can I ask which part of Ancestry you were looking in when you found your Julia Richards born 'around 1831 and 5 deaths listed'? (And was it on .com or .co.uk?) If the entries on are one page try to post the URL so we can see what you're referring to.
Pam

Jenjen
21-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the reply Pam. I am using the FH library Ancestry. I had seen the Bedworth one but don't have access to the actual image so could not see what it said about Julia's means of support. I had found an earlier reference to Bedworth on the 1861 census and it said Warwickshire- however the Julia Richards there was born in 1799. I had failed to make a note of this birth date and assumed the two were the same.
I know ancestry transcribers can sometimes get the spelling of the town wrong and there is a case on the 1841 census as Manchester being put under Leicestershire. Julia's birthplace on the 1861 was transcribed as Thorp Andlin not Audlin.
Please tell me what it says about Julia's occupation. It may help.
Thanks Jen

Pam Downes
21-09-2007, 2:15 PM
Hi Jen,
The Julia I found in 1871 is a hosiery stitcher.
(if you want to know more http://www.gendocs.demon.co.uk/trades.html will tell you about a hosier so you should then be able to work out what a stitcher does! :) )
There is a Bedworth in Warwickshire.
I know I'm being thick, but I still can't find the section of Ancestry you're talking about. |dunce2| Or do you mean that you are using Ancestryat a FH library, as opposed to an FH library section in Ancestry? :confused:
Pam

Jenjen
22-09-2007, 4:10 AM
I am using the Ancestry edition which the LDS has-It is a special edition of ancestry which does not show the images. It is rather limited.
I am doubtful that this is my Julia becuase she really had no reason to leave Yorkshire. She is described as a fund holder in 1861. Either there was an inheritance from her grandfather or money was collected for the family on the death of her father who was a well respected huntsman in Badsworth.
Just another brick wall.
Thanks for trying
Jen

v.wells
22-09-2007, 5:17 PM
Hi Jen

It sounds like the Ancestry edition you refer to is actually familysearch.org. which will not show images. Ancestry.com and co.uk say that they have only transcribed 50% of the records. This must be true as they do not have records yet of people that I know have died. You might try findmypast.com. There again it is pay per view. I have used up all my credits, else I'd look for you.

Vanessa

suedent
22-09-2007, 5:51 PM
As a first resort I use

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

It's not complete but it tends to be more up to date than the version of the index on Ancestry.

It's updated at least once a month so it's worth checking it out every so often.

It's also worth then double checking the reference as occasionally errors do appear.