PDA

View Full Version : HP Deskjet F380 - Software CD

Frank W
16-09-2007, 1:10 PM
|help|
Just bought a Deskjet F380 and installed it OK on laptop with XP Pro as the OS.
Software CD included is for XP and Win 2000, with second CD for Vista systems.

Would like to use it with another PC using Win ME or Win 98SE, but can't find how to get the CD or downloads for this. (HP no longer supply downloads or CDs for earlier OSs that Microsoft has abandoned, and have also closed access to earlier HP website pages, so they can't be accessed via Wayback Machine.) |soapbox|

The only advice that HP offer is to hang on to the Win 98/ME CD if you have one!
According to the setting-up instructions enclosed with the F380, the Win 98/ME drivers should work OK, but as the installation fails due to "wrong operating system", the additional HP software programs can't be installed.

Has any one got the Win98/ME software CD, or could suggest where one could be found?

Regards.............Frank W

16-09-2007, 1:26 PM
Hello Frank,

You can download a driver for older operating systems from The Driver Guide (http://www.driverguide.com/drivers.htm). You need to register to use the site but both registration and the download are free.

Graham

Frank W
16-09-2007, 5:21 PM
Sorry folks, I should have worded it slightly differently.

I do have both the Microsoft Win 98SE and the Microsoft Win ME OS CDs, so its not that the drivers are lacking or out of date, but that the HP 'management' software programs intended for XP or Win 2000 will not actually install on a computer which is using Win 98SE or Win ME.

What I am looking for is the CD by HP which was included with earlier F380 packages intended for use on 98SE or ME. Hopefully this should contain the earlier versions of HP Solution Center and HP Photosmart Essential programs which should install without error messages.

Regards.......Frank W

17-09-2007, 6:40 AM
Hello Frank,

All I can think of to suggest is a search for a forum, similar to this one, where HP products are discussed.

Good luck,
Graham

Frank W
17-09-2007, 4:08 PM
Thanks Graham

I'll follow that suggestion fairly soon. At the moment I'm chasing shadows with XP Pro on a new laptop and trying to persuade it to set up Dialup connections. Good job my Broadband is functioning OK at the moment (touch wood!)

Regards...............Frank W