PDA

View Full Version : Place names

BeeE586
14-09-2007, 3:59 PM
Please can anyone with a knowledge of Welsh place names tell me where these places are, belived to be in the vicinity of the town of Montgomery, and in that County?

Llundweal and Chasto

This is a near as I can read them in 1851 on HO107/1985 Fol 198, but I cannot find either place, or anything like them on my road atlas.

Many thanks

Eileen

busyglen
14-09-2007, 5:20 PM
Sorry Eileen, I can't get to look up your reference, but had a look on Genie for Montgomery, but I just can't see anything near what you have guessed at. I suspect the `Llun' part is actually `Llan' but apart from that I'm stymied. Hopefully someone else will be able to work it out from the Census piece.

Good luck! :)

Glenys

ChrisKelly
15-09-2007, 7:16 AM
Looking at the census page Llundweal could be Llandissil, ie Llandyssil near Montgomery.

The other place name does indeed look like Chasto but there are no names like that in Montgomeryshire or Shropshire. Maybe it's an abbreviation for Churchstoke?

BeeE586
15-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Thank you for that Chris.

There is another family connection with Church Stoke, and if the Head of house had a Welsh accent ............ who knows what the enunerator though he heard !!!!
I had found Llandyssil, but - silly me - never thought to substitute 'i' for 'y'; I should have known better the length of time I have been doing this.

|oopsredfa .......... |oopsredfa .......... |oopsredfa .... all round

Eileen

Carmy
02-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Check this site for all the place names in Montgomeryshire: http://www.sog.org.uk/prc/wal.shtml

Llun translates as 'picture' or 'Mon(day)' so it cannot be correct.

Llan is more likely because many places are named for saints. Llan means church, i.e., Church of St. ??? Unfortunately, "dweal" doesn't look like a Welsh name. It might be Idwal but I don't know of a St. Idwal.

Llyn - meaning lake - is also possible, but I don't see any place names on SOG that start with Llyn.

Chasto is significantly un-Welsh but Shropshire is so close it's possible an English-Norman name straddles the border.

Good luck. I hope someone living in the area can be more helpful.