PDA

View Full Version : George ANDERSON - b.1791 Lanchester

therra
14-09-2007, 3:17 PM
I am trying to find out who the above person married and when. The only information I have is that her name was Ann and that she was born about 1792 in Whickham, DUR. The earliest record I have on their children is Luke ANDERSON born about 1819. I have searched the Durham records around that time but so far have drawn a blank.

I am also looking for information on George's parents who I understood were John ANDERSON (birth date unknown). I believe he married Isabel RICHEY (b. 1751). I have no further information on either person.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Therra

birdlip
15-09-2007, 1:49 PM
Hi there,

do you have George and Ann and family in the 1841 and 51 census, and their children in the later census returns? I'm presuming you have, and thats where your info re dates and places of birth has come from. If not, let me know.

They certainly moved around a bit. Even though they were in Northumberland in 1841, I noticed all of them were born out of the county. Looking at the later records, Luke, the eldest, was the only one born in Gateshead. The others seem to all have been born born in the Houghton Le Spring area, variously given as Hetton, Easington Lane, Lumley etc. Have you searched in this area for a mariage? Ann may have gone back to Gateshead to have her first child with her family. Just a thought.

regards birdlip

therra
15-09-2007, 3:59 PM
Yes, I have found them in the 1841, 1851, 1861 and 1871 census returns. I have checked for marriages in Durham (via Durham online) and Northumberland

Regards,

Therra

birdlip
16-09-2007, 12:30 AM
I did a quick search on for George Anderson and Ann m 1815 +/- 5 years. It came up with no results for Durham or Nbl, no suprises there! However, when I changed it to George Anderson and Hannah, there were no results for Durham, and one for Nbl. You have to pay 2 pound fifty to view the entry. Hannah and Ann often seem to have been interchangeable. Hannah the full name for formal records, shortened to Ann for everyday use.

I suspect its the marriage I saw, and dismissed, on IGI. I'm sure you've seen it too; George Anderson m Hannah Dixon 29 Oct 1819, All Saints Newcastle on Tyne. I had another look at it though, its only just across the river after all. IGI gives Lukes dates as b 10 May 1819, and ch Gateshead 27 Oct 1820. So if its them, they were married five months after his birth, and a year before his christening. Not unheard of.

Joiners index is only an index and doesn't usually give the complete wording, which is frustrating. If you can find the original entry, it should give parishes of bride and groom of course. It would be good to rule them out...turn over all the stones! Just a suggestion, apologies if you've already done this.

regards birdlip

therra
17-09-2007, 2:40 PM
Thank you so much for the information. Yes, I had already seen a George Anderson marrying a Hannah Dixon but had ruled it out.

How would I go about obtaining the original entry? I am located on the West Coast of Canada so am unable to visit the area. Can I purchase microfiche?

Regards,

Therra

Peter Goodey
17-09-2007, 4:04 PM
How would I go about obtaining the original entry?

An excellent question and a chance to bring GenUKI to your attention;)
http://www.genuki.org.uk/

An important bookmark - I think you'll find you use it quite a lot.

Follow the links through to Newcastle All Saints. Then select Church Records. Note the reprographics service offered by the Northumberland Collections Service.

therra
19-09-2007, 3:24 PM
Great minds think alike...

I contacted Northumberland Collections yesterday and they advised me of their services.

Thank you all for your help with this.

Regards,

Therra