PDA

View Full Version : crown and compasses?

debsy
13-09-2007, 1:07 PM
Hi, I have an address in the 1901 census which is George IV Street and written above in the same line is what looks like 'Crown and Compasses'. The reference for this address is: RG 13/1531 Folio 101
Ecclesistical Parish Cambridge St Pauls, Ward of Municipal Borough of New Town.
I am curious to find out what was 'Crown and Compasses' as I have not been able to find anything on Google. It could say 'Crown and Companies' but is more likely to be the former. I am also interested in information on George IV Street, if it still exists, what it is like, what it was like in 1900.
I would appreciate any information, thanks
- Deb

Copper
13-09-2007, 1:24 PM
I use the site, The Genealogist, and I can't see this entry without searching for a surname. At a guess I would say that it was a pub.

I have now searched the Kelly's Directory Cambridgeshire 1896 which I purchased from Archive CD Books and found this listed under Public Houses

Crown & Compasses, James Clarke, 1 George St, Cambridge

debsy
13-09-2007, 1:37 PM
Thanks Copper, that is most likely the one. The surname I was searching in that page was Frances Seymour, 74 yo born abt 1829, from Cambridge.
- Deb

Copper
13-09-2007, 4:22 PM
Thanks for that, I have now found the page. Where it says Crown & Compasses the Head is Robert White and his occupation is Publican. I see he has a few boarders there.

debsy
14-09-2007, 1:04 AM
I never thought to check the other names but you're right. I noticed on the next page there are some 'Clarks' in a shop next to the pub but no James.
I have spent some time trying to find this pub on Google but it must have changed names or been demolished as I can't find any reference to it.
Deb

Copper
14-09-2007, 10:30 AM
I have not found a reference to the pub on Google either. It is probably something like the Slug and Lettuce now.

Here in Poole we have some very old pubs and at least one has changed name to something silly like my example above.

debsy
15-09-2007, 6:35 AM
Copper, it is really funny that you say that because only a few years ago we had a pub called The Slug and Lettuce open here in South Australia! It is based on an English pub theme with some traditional English fare (along with some very nice not so traditional menu items) English beers and the decor is English style. I have eaten there a number of times and like it very much.
-Deb

Copper
15-09-2007, 8:20 AM
I don't go to pubs as up until the recent smoking ban they were bad for my asthma. I don't drink alcohol either :D I do know that there were many unhappy locals when the historic pub in Poole became part of a chain and was named The Slug and Lettuce. The atmosphere was not the same.

I have found a site which claims to list every pub in Cambridge and there is no pub listed in George Street. I have now looked in my A-Z of Cambridgeshire and there is a George Street in Cambridge. I think we can assume that the Crown and Compasses is no more.