PDA

View Full Version : Mary Stead

Elisabeth Swingwood
11-09-2007, 7:04 PM
I am trying to trace my great grandmother MARY STEAD born in WIGMORE HEREFORDSHIRE early 1800's I think.
She was married to JAMES RICHARDS who served in the army and was, at one time, a coachman at Downton Castle.
Any help is greatly appreciated as I have hit a brick wall.
Thanks
Lis

birdlip
18-09-2007, 6:07 AM
Hi there,

I have found James and Mary in the 1871 census, at Downton, presumably after his tour of duty in the Army, as two of his children are born out of the country;

RG10; 2723; 40; P6
Stonebrook, Downton. Herefordshire

James Richards Head mar 49 Groom Domestic servant b Hereford Leintwardine
Mary Richards wife mar 38 b Hereford Wigmore
Frederick Richards son 9 Scholar b Ireland Waterford British subject
Ellen Richards dau 5 b India Shahjchawpore? British subject
Charles Richards son 2 b Hereford Downton
Fanny Richards dau 1 b do do

regards birdlip

birdlip
18-09-2007, 8:06 AM
Hello again,

this looks like Mary in 1841;

HO107; 428; 36; F8; P11
Limebrook, Wigmore village, Herefordshire

Elizabeth Stead 45
Cornelius Stead 21 Carpenter
Sarah Stead 14
Eliza Stead 12
Mary Stead 10
Hellin Stead 8
Jane Stead 6
Caroline Stead 4
Harriet Stead 3
Charlotte Stead 11 months

All born in the county

regards birdlip

birdlip
18-09-2007, 10:57 AM
I thought Elizabeth Stead in 1841 was possibly a widow; and of course relationships arent given in 1841; or the father was simply absent on the night in question, working away from home, or visiting relatives maybe. However, its all a little bit more intriguing...

I thought if I looked up Wigmore baptisms on Batch Numbers, it would list both parents names, so it would get you back another generation. There are eleven Stead/Steed children listed. Nine of them, including Mary, are the same as those with Elizabeth in 1841;

Cornelius William ch 10 Mar 1822
Sarah Ann ch 23 Dec 1826
Eliza ch 02 Aug 1829
Mary ch 27 Feb 1831
Helen ch 16 Sep 1832
Jane ch 11 Mar 1834
Caroline ch 07 Aug 1836
Harriet ch 23 Feb 1838
Charlotte ch 23 Jun 1840

In each case, the parents names are given as simply, "mother: Elizabeth Stead " This is usual where the child is illegitimate, but you'd maybe only come across a couple of children per mother. The other two children are;

Jemima ch 05 Apr 1818
John ch 23 Mar 1822

John parents are given as George Richards and Sarah Stead, but Jemima is another of Elizabeths! So she had ten children altogether over the space of 22 years. The other interesting point is that John Stead is named Stead, his mothers surname not his fathers, which would be usual unless he's also illegitimate. George Richards also has the same surname as James, who we just saw in 1871 with Mary!

Not sure what to make of all this, Some other Forum members may be able to suggest explanations?

regards birdlip

birdlip
18-09-2007, 11:45 AM
I can't find Elizabeth in 1851, but there's a possible death on freebmd;

Elizabeth Stead Mar qu 1847 Ludlow 18 82

I did find some of the girls in 1851 though, and this is interesting...

HO107; 1982; 12; P16
Wigmore, Herefordshire

Matthew Jones Head Widowr 62 Hurdle maker? b Hereford Wigmore
Hellen Stead dau unm 18 Servant at home b do do
Jane Stead dau unm 16 Servant at home b do do
Caroline Stead dau 14 Scholar b do do
Charlott Stead dau 10 do b do do
Wm Jones Visitor 10 do b Middlesex London

So, Matthew Jones is saying he's a widower, and that these Stead girls at least, are his daughters.

regards, birdlip

p.s. His occupation is really unclear. First of all, I thought he was a something baker, but I'm not sure. Would someone else take a look?

Elisabeth Swingwood
07-10-2007, 6:09 PM
Hello Birdlip
Many thanks for your reply and the information. I really feel I can begin to move forward at last.
The family story is that Mary married " below her station " in life and very little was ever known about her.
I really appreciate your help. Thanks
Lis

magnificat100
29-04-2011, 9:52 PM
Elizabeth are you still looking at this thread? I too have met a brick wall but I need to let you know we have just broken through and found out a lot more on all the Steads. I smiled at all of your comments as I am convinced Mathew Jones like John O Gaunt had another wife till late on, but meanwhile had had all these children. I have ended up with a descendant sunk with Kitchener and one incredible story. mary had a fairly sensible life, evne if she did marry below her station!

With affectionate regards to anyone who wants to reply regarding any Stead in this family.

Regards

Margaret

Mutley
29-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Hello Magnificat100 and welcome to the forum.

Sadly Elizabeth is no longer a member and will not receive your message.
Why don't you start a new thread regarding your brick wall, you never know who may read it and reply. :smile5: