PDA

View Full Version : The best way to go about it?

TeeGee
11-09-2007, 6:24 PM
I am trying to trace my grandfather.

He was Wilson Robertson Wylie born 6th March 1892 at Dalry in Ayrshire, Scotland. He was the sone of John Wylie and Elizabeth Wylie m/s McIlroy.

He was married and had 2 sons (one of them my father) and 3 daughters, (2 deceased and one currently alive but suffering from Dementia) A few months after his youngest daughter Jessie was born, his wife (my grandmother) died. Not wishing to be left to bring up 5 children, he left the family home at Gateside by beith in Ayrshire, and was never heard of again. I do not know if he emigrated, joined the forces or what!

What would be the best way to go about tracing his whereabouts. He may well have other children by now.

Regards

Tom Wylie

Geoffers
11-09-2007, 8:12 PM
Did he die in WW1 or WW2? Try the CWGC site
http://www.cwgc.org/

Did he serve in the RN?
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/

or the Army in WW1?
(Same URL as above, click on 'Family History' on the left of the screen and then 'WW1 Campaign Medals')

Does he appear in any Post Office Directories anywhere?

findmypast (pay-per-view) have passenger lists leaving the UK

You could try searching the calendars to probate records which are quite easy to use.

Did he remarry? Try searching the GRO index if he moved south to England, or use the Scotland's People web-site if he stayed in his home country.

Geoffers

TeeGee
11-09-2007, 10:12 PM
Like I said I dont know if he was in the forces or went abroad.
He will be well dead by now, but can I search national records for a dead person's name or do I have to go through deaths year by year? I have never attempted this before.
He also had 2 brothers whose birth certificates I have.

Tom

Mutley
11-09-2007, 11:10 PM
I know you must have the 1901 census information for him at 9 years old but for the benefit of others searching, (if I've got it right) the reference is:

Source Citation: Parish: Dalry; ED: 6; Line: 9; Year: 1901.

Interesting point is that Margaret (his sister???) age 1 yr is listed as the daughter of John and Elizabeth but her surname is McElroy not Wylie??
I do not have access to the original.

Ancestry has 12 phone book records for Wilson Wylie from 1954 - 1971 mainly in Renfrewshire and 3 for Mrs W. Robertson Wylie, 1940, 1944 and 1945.

There are lots of Wylie deaths in the index but I cannot see one for Wilson. Do you have a time line for what you know? Any dates that would help us?

P.S. You can search for his death by name in any of the free BMD or commercial programs (subscription or pay to view)

Geoffers
12-09-2007, 8:24 AM
Like I said I dont know if he was in the forces or went abroad.

The links I gave may help to find out if he did, or if you can discount them (a negative search can sometimes be useful)

Other thought - do you know his dad's name and when he died? Did his dad leave a will in which he mentions his son and where he lived?

Geoffers

TeeGee
13-09-2007, 8:02 AM
I had a long talk with my elder sister last night and she filled me in on a couple of details. When I was young I was always told that all my grandparents had died before I was born (1946). The fact is that the Grandfather I am interested in, left the family when his youngest daughter was born and his wife (my grandmother did in fact pass away).

My aunt is also now deceased. Most of her family are deceased or spread throughout the world. Now my father was born in 1913 and if he was 10 yr old when my aunt was botn that would make her date of birth round about 1923 which means that my grandfather was still alive after the first World War. If he left home around 1923 - 25 he could be anywhere in the world, Canada - Australia or even just around the corner. I am trying to get a date and place of birth for my aunt.

Looking at it, the family were ashamed that Granpa left and as a result I was gioven wrong information. If he was born in 1892 then in 1950 he would only be 58 yrs old - in 1960 - he would only be 68 yrs old, and so on.

I can find records of death up until 1956. Can I go to The Registratr's Office in Edinburgh for records after 1956?

Using various suggestions on this forum, I have now traced my ancestry back as far as the 1861 census, which is quite fascinating. I will try to go back even further. It seems in olden times, without the availability of modern travel, men and women of the same village married each other and seems quite common - they didn't travel a lot........

Tom

lindy-lou
14-09-2007, 8:18 PM
Hi Teegee

if you live in/around glasgow u can visit records office in Park Circus, i went there recently and u can access loads of information, staff there are very helpful and can point u in the right direction. u have to phone up to make an appt which can be months ahead, i don't have tel no at this moment in time but will get it if required.
wishing u well in your search

lindy-lou

lindy-lou
14-09-2007, 8:20 PM
forgot to say records can be looked up till 2001/2.

TeeGee
15-09-2007, 6:33 AM
That would be very kind of you. Thanks for the offer. I shall do that.

Tom

lindy-lou
16-09-2007, 10:05 AM
hi again,
address is 22 Park Circus, tel 0141 287 8364. another place to look is the mitchell library, their website will give u info on what records they hold on fiche, i believe its on a first come basis to search the fiche's, worth a look.

linda:)

Hugh Thompson
17-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Could find no Wilson Robertson Wylie in new south wales Reg, of birth deaths and marriages,he would have to have used his correct name, passport etc,no help i'm afraid .still worth a look..Hugh.