PDA

View Full Version : Info reqd on West Church/St Cuthbert's

francisp
11-09-2007, 7:55 AM
My g-g-grandfather's (James Scott) army record shows him born in West Church, Midlothian - no exact DOB but "aged 21" when he joined up in 1822.

His Guernsey death record has his parents as James & Ellen (but this could well be Helen).

I have a birth record of James Scott to James Scott & Helen Young in 1799 at Nicolson Street, St Cuthbert's, so trying to match them up !

Does anyone know if Nicolson St would be regarded as the West Church part of St Cuthbert's ?

Any help greatly appreciated !

Francis Payne
Auckland, New Zealand

helen64
09-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Hi
having just read your post, i see your trying to link people up from Midlothian i have lots of Helen Young in my family from the same area you are searching. i will have a look at my tree and see if i can help with any info on anyone marrying anyone with your names.

Helen

joette
10-01-2008, 3:33 PM
Try Lothian Family History Society-they are a very helpful lot.

helen64
11-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Try Lothian Family History Society-they are a very helpful lot.

Hi thanks for that, i will
Helen

joette
11-01-2008, 2:39 PM
That's ok I have lots of Scotts from Midlothian too-in fact Scott/Young are one of my main lines.

St Cuthberts was a huge Parish.I have David Taylor marrying Christina Robertson there in 1824 with the original Banns in our possesion.

helen64
12-01-2008, 9:52 AM
That's ok I have lots of Scotts from Midlothian too-in fact Scott/Young are one of my main lines.

St Cuthberts was a huge Parish.I have David Taylor marrying Christina Robertson there in 1824 with the original Banns in our possesion.

Hi, how are you getting on with your search? all my youngs come from Midlothian two born in Lanarkshire and one son emigrated to Wyoming and it is that, that i am looking into at the moment. My last one in \midlothian was born in 1756 David young who married a Marion selkirk, his parents were james young and Isobell Mathie but that is all i know about them. I dont seem to be able to find any dates for his parents marriage or james birth.

I have the following names in my family: Ferguson, Mains, Reily, Simpson, Lindsey, Simpson, Sekirk, Mathie, Chambers, Chase, the weirdest christian names i have in the family is Welsh and Lincoln. I couldnt believe Welsh is also a female not a male as i would have thought.

Let me know how you are doing................

Regards Helen

joette
14-01-2008, 4:15 PM
My GGGreat-Grandfather Andrew Young was living in Newbattle when he married Ann Taylor(daughter of David &Christina)It is such a common name but I have tracked his parents Margaret Goodfellow & I think Andrew Young.He is amidst several siblings who as their name is so coomon hard to track.
As to peculiar names quite often when you see the original names in original material it often makes sense.Place names, women named for male relatives etc.Also factor in illiteracy & the fact that many people had no written reocrd of their name birth etc & you get some weird & wonderful spellings.
You might also try Talking Scot they are a Forum dedicated to all things Scottish&Scottish family history in particular.-plus the places that Scots ended up/originated from.

francisp
21-01-2008, 1:06 AM
Intereresting info.

Helen, did you find any Scott connection for any of your Helen Youngs ?

Francis

liberty
05-08-2008, 6:51 AM
Hello Helen, I have only just joined this forum looking for my GGG Grandfather James Simpson and family. I noticed you had Simpsons in your family do you think we may have a connection. My ancestors came from Leith and James was a Sea Captain. He had a daughter called Helen but I am unable to find who his wife was. Please would you let me know if any connection. Many thanks Liberty.

helen64
08-08-2008, 9:08 AM
Hello Liberty, what a lovely name......yes i do have Simpson in my family as you say, on the maternal side, so the name obviously disappears for me into the name Young.
The Simpson i have in my family is Helen Simpson who married James Young she was his servant and became his second wife...have a look and see if you can connect anything
Helen

JAMES YOUNG and CATHARINE LINDSAY Marriage: 29 MAR 1834 Newton, Midlothian, Scotland OPR Record
Family
JANET YOUNG Christening: 01 MAR 1835 Newton, Midlothian, Scotland OPR Record
WELSH YOUNG Christening: 04 MAR 1837 Crichton, Midlothian, Scotland OPR Record
MARION YOUNG Birth about 1837 Newton, Midlothian, Scotland No Record
HELEN YOUNG Christening: 29 SEP 1839 Inveresk, Midlothian, Scotland OPR Record
GEORGE YOUNG Birth about 1842 Inveresk, Midlothian, Scotland No Record
CATHERINE YOUNG Birth: 1844 Newbattle, Midlothian, Scotland No Record
MARGARET YOUNG Birth about 1847 Newton, Midlothian, Scotland No Record
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________
JAMES YOUNG and HELEN SIMPSON Marriage: 01 MAY 1863 Newbattle, Midlothian, Scotland Statutory Record
Family
ANN YOUNG Birth about 1853 Newbattle, Midlothian, Scotland No Record
ROBERT S YOUNG Birth about 1854 Cockpen, Midlothian, Scotland No Record
JAMES YOUNG Birth: 05 APR 1860 Newbattle, Midlothian, Scotland Statutory Record
JOHN YOUNG Birth: 25 FEB 1862 Newbattle, Midlothian, Scotland Statutory Record
DAVID YOUNG Birth: 17 NOV 1865 Newbattle, Midlothian, Scotland Statutory Record
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________
1851 Census
County: Midlothian
Civil Parish: Newbattle Enumeration District 7 Page 5
Address: Stobhill No 43:
Name Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Birthplace
James Young Head W M 36 Coal Miner Lasswade, Midlothian
Janet Young Daughter U F 16 Newton, Midlothian
Marion Young Daughter U F 14 Newton, Midlothian
Helen Young Daughter F 11 Inveresk, Midlothian
George Young Son M 9 Inveresk, Midlothian
Catherine Young Daughter F 7 Newton, Midlothian
Margaret Young Daughter F 4 Newton, Midlothian
1861 Census
Civil Parish: Newbattle Enumeration District 7 Page 4
Address: 145 Monteith House:
James Young Head W M 47 Coal Miner Lasswade, Midlothian
Helen Simpson Servant U F 34 Dom. Serv't Inveresk, Midlothian
Ann Young Daughter F 8 Scholar Newbattle, Midlothian
Robert S Young Son M 7 Scholar Cockpen, Midlothian
James Young Son M 1 Newbattle, Midlothian
1871 Census
Civil Parish: Stobhill Enumeration District 1 Page31
Address: Stobhill
James Young Head M M 60 Coal Miner Lasswade, Midlothian
Ellen Young Wife M F 47 Inveresk, Midlothian
Robert Young Son M 17 Coal Miner Cockpen, Midlothian
James Young Son M 10 Scholar Newbattle, Midlothian
John Young Son M 8 Scholar Newbattle, Midlothian
David Young Son M 6 Scholar Newbattle, Midlothian
1881 Census
County: Lanarkshire
Civil Parish: Carluke Enumeration District 6 Page 2
Address: Shieldhill Rd
Ellen Young Head W F 57 Crossgatehall, Midlothian
John Young Son U M 18 Coal Miner Stobhill, Midlothian
David Young Son U M 16 Coal Miner Stobhill, Midlothian
Ellen Young G/Daughter F 5 Dalhousie, Midlothian
1891 Census
Civil Parish: Lasswade Enumeration District 11 Page 31
Address: 36 Carnethie St
Ellen Young Head W F 60 Boarding House Keeper Inveresk, Midlothian
Ellen Young G/Daughter F 15 Farm Outworker Cockpen, Midlothian

liberty
11-08-2008, 9:44 PM
Hi Helen,
I very much appreciate your findings and will look forward to checking if any connection with my Simpson Family. Will be intouch. I am still looking for any information about James Simpson who had a daughter called Helen ( Ellen).
Kind regards

Liberty.

helen64
14-08-2008, 9:28 AM
Hi, Liberty
I go your message thanks, you are welcome.
If you give me a little to go on with regards to James Simpson i will try and help you find his wife......and anything else i can

Helen

joette
14-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Now those Youngs are looking like they may have a connection to mine-Newbattle is where my Andrew Young was born & he had a whole swathe of siblings.They were mainly miners & ag labs although he ended up as a gardener & lived to a ripe old age.
Will plow through what I have & get back.

helen64
16-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Hello again, i got your message thanks......is your Andrew Young son to David and Marion who lived in Adamsrow in the parish of newton??

If its the same Andrew he has 2 sisters and 1 brother on the 1841 census.

Young David M 55 Coal miner
Young Marion F 60
Young Jeanette F 25
Young John M Coal Miner
Young Margaret F 23
Young Andrew M 15 Coal Miner

Living in Adamsrow 1841 I have a picture of the row of houses they lived in at that time......is this what you have????

helen64
17-08-2008, 9:48 AM
Hi Liberty,

just had a brain storm!!! if your Helen simpson is the same as mine her mother was called Elizabeth Simpson and her father was not James but Andrew Simpson they were both deceased when Helen Simpson married James Young.......so do you now think that my Helen is not the same one as yours??

Both sets of parents where living in Newbattle.

Helen & James married on 1st Jan 1863

If you gave me more to go on i could maybe find some info for you.

helen64
17-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Hi Helen,
I very much appreciate your findings and will look forward to checking if any connection with my Simpson Family. Will be intouch. I am still looking for any information about James Simpson who had a daughter called Helen ( Ellen).
Kind regards

Liberty.

Liberty

Just by sheer accident i was doing some work on my own family history and i have discovered Helen Simpson and James young on a marriage licence for their Son Mr Robert young and Miss Mary Riley in 1876
Does Helen Have an (S ) in the middle of her name???? If she has i bet you it stands for (Stevenson) not quiet the name you would have thought that would be given to a female.......im itching for you to find something

helen64
26-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi Liberty, Have you found anything yet??

Helen

liberty
27-08-2008, 6:43 AM
Hello Helen,

thanks for your message, I havent had the much time and dont really think there is anything else I can do unless I go to parish records in Scotland.

I also need to try the Merchant navy records for James Simpson as he was recorded as Sea Captain in 1866 on his daughters marriage certificate. this may give me some information about his wife and where they lived.

Many thanks for your interest

will let you know if I get any further, it does get frustrating and I am very eager about family history, I find it fasinating.

Liberty.