PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Birth Certificate

sindylin
10-09-2007, 9:01 PM
I have a dilemma here, I am only presuming that a relative was born in Scotland (no idea which area either)

Is there an easy way to access Scottish records without having to spend a fortune???

Any tips?

thanks
Sindylin

Mary Young
10-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Is there an easy way to access Scottish records without having to spend a fortune???
The answer is - yes, no or maybe - it all depends ... :)
Scottish records are on-line at scotlands people but I would only go there as a last resort. A block of 30 units costs GBP6. A search costs 1 unit, and viewing an image costs 6 units. So expenses can rise rapidly especially if the name is common and you don't know where (or even whether) the person was born in Scotland.
Also, access is limited to births before 1906, marriages before 1931, and deaths before 1956.
Before venturing there, why not tell us what you know and we'll try to help.
Post the person's name and approximate year of birth.
Do you have a marriage or death showing the father's name?
Anything else known about your subject, such as occupation and children's names in date order?
Do they appear anywhere on a census?

sindylin
11-09-2007, 5:37 PM
why not tell us what you know and we'll try to help.
Post the person's name and approximate year of birth.
Do you have a marriage or death showing the father's name?
Anything else known about your subject, such as occupation and children's names in date order?
Do they appear anywhere on a census?

Hello Mary

Many thanks for the info.....if you don't mind then I will give you the info I have so far:-

First of all he doesn't appear on any E/W census, the two chaps of the same name who do aren't him.

Name: Samuel Close
Year of Birth: 1891 (possibly 1892)
Year of Death: 1957, Otford, Kent, death certificate in post, but understand that until 1968 the dob wasn't given on Death Certificates.
Wife: Anabella Alice Robbie (born in Bellshill)
Children: William Close 1915-1985 (born Bellshill) Margaret 1926-? (born in Kent) and David 1931-1994 (born in UK)

They apparently met as teachers, before he went to University to train for the ministry in London. They moved to Diss, Norfolk, then Croydon...then Kent. I have contacted all relevant churches plus the Uni, none of whom can trace his DOB!|banghead|

The reason I think he was born in Scotland is he doesn't appear in E/W census's plus he met, Married (no details of that either) and had first child in Bellshill, Lanark.

Hope that helps,many thanks
sindylin :)

Mary Young
11-09-2007, 7:16 PM
BINGO, STRUCK GOLD! |biggrin|
Only three SAMUEL CLOSE in Scotland 1901 Yes, only three in entire country!!!
(a) born abt.1892, father William
(assume this is your man, who named his first child William)
(b) born abt. 1881, father David
(c) born abt.1871, father James
All three fathers were born in IRELAND, and working in coal mines in BOTHWELL.
The same children's names in all three families, so almost certainly related.
Working back in time -
1901 Scotland Census
Glebe Street Inchney Pce, Bellshill, Bothwell, Lanarkshire
Wm Close, 50, head, pit headman, born Ireland
Margt Close 48 wife born Bellshill, all children also born Bellshill
Wm 22 coal miner
David 18 coal miner
Helen W 15 mother's help (surprise surprise!)
Jas 15 pit head marker
Margt 13 scholar
Alex 11 scholar
Sam 9 scholar
Isabella 3
-----
1891 shows the same family at 148 Bothwell Park (minus of course two children born later).
----
1881 Scotland Census
148 Bothwell Park Rows
William Close head 29 pitheadman (coal pit) born Ireland
Margaret wife 29 born Ayr
John 4 Gartsherrie, Lanark
William 2 Bothwell Park, Lanark
Helen 1 Bothwell Park
----
pre-1875 no marriage in IGI for Wm Close and Margaret.
1871 no WILLIAM CLOSE age 19 in Scotland
----
Samuel's birth and marriage should be easy to find at scotlands people.
His birth will give you his parents' place and date of marriage.
Scottish records are much better than English (is there a smilie for a smirk?)

peter nicholl
12-09-2007, 1:59 PM
Hi Sindylin
I had some Credits on Scotlands People and rather than letting them go to waste
Samuel Close was born 19 September 1891 at 1.40 pm, the address looks like 148 "Bairds Row"?, Bothwell Park. His parents were William Close, Coal Pitman and Margaret ( can't make out her Maiden Name, but it looks like McA??). William and Margaret were married 4 February 1876 in Ayr.
Samuel Close married Annabella Alice Robbie in 1914 in Bellshill, Lanark. Annabella was born in 1889 in Bothwell, Lanark.
HTH
Peter

sindylin
12-09-2007, 8:31 PM
Many many thanks both of you!

So much info you have supplied.......... Excellent!

Two weeks ago I knew nothing about him other than his name which my Dad told me, he never knew him as he was born out of wedlock due to my Nan and Samuel having an affair. He was a minister, almost twice her age and her father was furious which resulted in Samuel being defrocked. His name was never put on my dad's birth certificate either. I really didn't expect to find him but it just goes to show eh? As he is my paternal grandfather I would like to trace the ancestry back on that side.

I guess the search for William's parents moves to Ireland now. I hope their records are detailed and easy to find...anyone know????

Once again, thank you so much |hug|:D

Sindylin

Mary Young
13-09-2007, 8:44 AM
Hi, Sindylin
Glad to be of help, it was a doddle |cheers| Bet you wish you'd found us first!
Irish records, I think, will be much more difficult - why not post to the Irish Forum?