PDA

View Full Version : 7th Battalion Rifle Brigade

Shadrack
04-09-2007, 9:02 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to find info on Stanley George Wheeler.

Service No: B/47 of the above unit.

Date of death : 19/08/1916

He is buried at Heilly Station Cemetery, Mericourt - L'Abbe.

This info and a little more about his parents I got from the above cemetery site.

I have searched the internet for more info , but as yet have found nothing about him, his injuries, his unit , which battle he may have been in etc.

If anyone can help , I would be most grateful.

Mike

Davran
04-09-2007, 9:37 PM
Don't know if this site will help, but it may be of interest:

http://www.regiments.org./regiments/uk/inf/095RB.htm

Shadrack
05-09-2007, 5:05 AM
Thank you for your reply.

I had seen this before, As the family came from London, I am assuming its the London Bridage ?

I shall keep looking, I may get Lucky.

keith9351
05-09-2007, 8:30 AM
If you use the link below to find what Division they formed part of and where they fought.

http://www.1914-1918.net/rb.htm

Keith

Shadrack
05-09-2007, 6:25 PM
Thank you, but I do not know where to go from here ?

Mike

peter nicholl
06-09-2007, 7:10 PM
Hi Mike

The National Archives Documents on Line have various War Diaries on a pay-per-view basis £3.50? Anyway, Ref. WO95/1496 is the War Diaries for 4 Division, 11 Infantry Brigade, 1 Battalion Rifle Brigade and covers July 1916 to September 1916. My experience is that other ranks don't usually get a mention by name, but it may tell you the circumstances under which Stanley Wheeler was killed. If he died of wounds, you may have to go back a period.

Peter

peter nicholl
07-09-2007, 2:51 PM
A P.S. Mike,
I looked Stanley up on Soldiers Died and can add the following:
He did "Die of Wounds", so there should be a grave rather than entry on a Memorial.
He was a Lance Serjeant who enlisted in Edmonton and was born in Tottenham.
Peter

Shadrack
08-09-2007, 5:52 AM
Thank you for that Peter,

I have a picture building up of Stanley.

I have searched Google, with no luck, how would I go about finding his grave ? Or would that be a no go ?

Mike

ChristineR
08-09-2007, 6:48 AM
You already have his grave location
You probably found this on the Commonwealth war Graves site?

He is buried at Heilly Station Cemetery, Mericourt - L'Abbe

http://www.cwgc.org/

Once you find his name, if you click on the cemetery name, you will get the history of the use of the cemetery and also links to photos.

it says , among other info....

"The 36th Casualty Clearing Station was at Heilly from April 1916. It was joined in May by the 38th, and in July by the 2/2nd London, but these hospitals had all moved on by early June 1917. The cemetery was begun in May 1916 and was used by the three medical units until April 1917."
then the Aussies used it.

To find out more information on his wounds, perhaps you could track down a local newspaper report of his death - in the locality where his parents lived.

The plot number is recorded there to - Grave/Memorial Reference: III. C. 15. by looking at the cemetery chart - this is a grave reference, not a memorial ref.
Christine

Shadrack
08-09-2007, 7:09 AM
Thank you very much |bowdown|

I have followed your links and found the info. I will now start a search for newpaper coverage.

Thank you again

Mike

Andy Pay
23-01-2008, 7:57 PM
Mike,
Your man (Wheeler) was in 'C' Company of the 7th RB's and was wounded on the 18/8/1916 in the battalions attack and capture of Orchard Trench and a portion of Wood Lane. He appears in the battalion casualty lists for August 1916. Hope this helps you a little.

Andy