PDA

View Full Version : 1841/1851/1861. census. Hackney. Have address - need where born.

Di&Trev
22-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Hi. Can listers help me please.
I have
1841 Sarah Coulson married to Henry Coulson, living at 12 Wellington Street, Hackney with 6 kids and Harriet Jeater.
1851 Sarah Coulson. Now widowed living at 4 Wellington Street, Hackney.
1861 Sarah Coulson living at Dunn's Cottages, Hackney with James & Sarah Nevill.
Would really like to find out where Sarah & Henry were born please.
Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Pam Downes
23-11-2004, 6:36 AM
Working backwards.

In 1861 Sarah reckons she was born in Brighton, which either she or a geographically-challenged enumerator who couldn't read her writing thinks is in Essex. It's partly crossed through, with something rather feint written at the end, but I think this relates to a disability of some kind rather than being an amendment to the county.

In 1851 the county is shown as Sussex (hooray!)

If you say the letters SX individually they sound like Essex.
And you can have great fun if you confuse West Ham Essex with Westham Sussex. (This knowledge gleaned from the Rootsweb Essex mailing list.)

Pam Downes

AnnB
23-11-2004, 2:00 PM
If you say the letters SX individually they sound like Essex.
And you can have great fun if you confuse West Ham Essex with Westham Sussex. (This knowledge gleaned from the Rootsweb Essex mailing list.)

Pam Downes
On the same lines, I found an ancestor given as being born in Brighton, Essex in 1861, Brightlingsea, Sussex in 1871 and finally (and correctly!) Brightlingsea, Essex in 1881. They get there in the end.....

Best wishes
Ann

Di&Trev
24-11-2004, 9:35 PM
All the ideas are very helpful and the web page was brilliant, :)
Now I can start puzzling it out!
Thank you for all your hard work.