PDA

View Full Version : German POW after Manchester Bombing

pamelajd
04-09-2007, 8:48 PM
I think there is a family skeleton....

My mother (British through and through) has stowed away a German Iron Cross (2nd Class). The family rumour is that the medal once belonged to a German pilot who was shot down over Manchester during WW2. He became a POW for a short time before he died of his injuries. The story goes that my mother visited the POW in a hospital. The POW would have been about 17, and my mother about 20 (and married).

The medal was sent to my Grandfather by the boy's German mother after the war. The mother had worked for my father whilst he was based in Germany pre WW2 (he had been in the army).

My Grandfather discarded the medal away (in anger) but my mother retrieved it and still has it safely stowed away.

My questions are... why would any mother send a medal to an enemy even if she was just grateful for some small kindness? Usually a mother would retain all memorabilia. Is there something more here? Does anyone know where to start looking to identify this boy? There could be other relatives who would treasure the medal - and there may even be some other family members that I do not know of??

uksearch
05-09-2007, 12:22 PM
I have a copy of " Luftwaffe Over Manchester, The Blitz Years 1940 - 1944 "
It seems to indicate that only two enemy aircaft were shot down in this area. It lists all the bombing raids and casaualties. It seems a low number of aircraft to me.

See link for crew details.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c214/uksearch2003/ENEMY.jpg (http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c214/uksearch2003/ENEMY.jpg)

I know that I could have paste this into this message but I thought that I might save some space...good idea...bad idea????

UK

pamelajd
08-09-2007, 8:48 PM
Thank you so much, UK, I will cetainly look for a copy of that book. The link worked well so it was a good idea.

I will now endeavour to get a copy of the book. Also, I have started to search links to UK cemeteries that have German plots - no luck there, and will have a go at searching the German War Graves Commission (it is in German!) so hopefully something will come up there.

Cheers and thanks once again

Mike_E
08-09-2007, 9:24 PM
will have a go at searching the German War Graves Commission (it is in German!) so hopefully something will come up there.

This might help.

How to use the German War Graves database
by Roland Fogt

The website for the German War Graves Commission (Volksbund der Deutschekriegsgraberfursorge) has recently undergone some changes. For those searching its database (which is in German only) follow these instructions:

Go to http://www.volksbund.de/
Click on "Grabersuche online" at the top of the page
Click on "zur Onlinesuche >" in the middle of the page
You will be given 5 boxes to fill in. They are:
Nachname=Last name
Vorname=First name
Geburstdatum=Date of birth
Todesdatum=Date of death
Geburtsort=Place of birth
Fill in as much as possible. Remember to enter dates as dd.mm.yyyy (so July 4th, 2001 would read as 04.07.2001)
The new search procedures require that a questionnaire be filled out prior to receiving your search results. As a minimum, the items marked with an asterisk must be completed. They are:
Vorname (First name)
Nachname (Last name)
Straße / Nr.*: (Street Address)
Land / PLZ / Ort*: (Country/zip code/city)
(If you are interested in completing the entire questionnaire, the translated version is at the end of these instructions)
Scroll down to the end of the questionnaire and click on "Zur Ergebnisseite"
You will be taken to a page that includes the address for the Commission and a short note thanking you for your support. Click on "Suchanfrage ausfuhren"
You will then be given the results. The term "Die Recherche war lieder erfolglos" indicates that no results were found based on the information provided. Possible matches will be listed by last names that are linked to further information. Keep in mind that the database may occasionally be down for maintenance and updating (Wartungsarbeit).
Once you have clicked on a possible match you will be taken to that
individuals information page which lists:
Zum Gedenken (In memory of)
Nachname (Last name)
Vorname (First name)
Dienstgrad (Rank)
Geburstdatum (Date of birth)
Geburtsort (Place of birth)
Todesdatum (Date of death)
Todesort (Place of death)
This is followed a short paragraph which describes where the individual is buried, if known. Copy the information and paste it on one of the many online translation services (such as www.freetranslation.com/) (http://www.freetranslation.com/%29). The results
may not be 100% grammatically correct, but it will give you the gist of what you are looking for.

My great uncle is listed as missing in Werchowzewo Ukraine, and has no known grave. One day he may be found, and I'm listed with the German war grave commission as the next of kin to be informed if his body is ever found.

pamelajd
09-09-2007, 2:45 AM
Thanks Mike - I had been looking at the site wondering how to get around it.

Because I have no clue as to the name of the person I am looking for, I thought I would start the search by looking for the names of German aircrew known to have died during the bombing of Manchester (names from the link that UKSearch sent me). Thought that would give me some clues that I was on the right track, but nothing came up!

I am presuming that German POW buried in England would be listed, but perhaps I am wrong?

Does anyone know if there are records of Germans captured in England during WW2? Where they were imprisoned, and if records of the prisoners and their fate exits?

pamelajd
09-09-2007, 2:55 AM
I wish you luck with finding out the whereabouts of your great-uncle. I recently found three great-uncles (brothers) buried in France, and no-one in my family ever heard of them. So sad, so young and such a waste. I would love to find out more of the young German who died over Manchester - someone out there must want to know as well. Cheers.

Toronto
09-09-2007, 3:15 AM
Did you check the medal. Some medals have the persons name stamped on them. Mine did on the rim.

Mike Morris
Toronto Canada ex Parachute Regiment

pamelajd
09-09-2007, 3:59 AM
It wasn't obvious - but will have another look. Thanks

Mike_E
09-09-2007, 1:58 PM
Thanks Mike - I had been looking at the site wondering how to get around it.

This site lists POW camps, which might be a starting point.
http://www.islandfarm.fsnet.co.uk/LIST%20OF%20UK%20POW%20CAMPS1.htm

I found some names of camps-
Bury, Manchester, Lancashire, England
Mellands Camp, Gorton, Manchester, Lancashire, England
Ormskirk (GH) Lancashire
Garswood Park, Ashton-in-Markerfield, Wigan
Preston (GPC) Lancashire.
Newton Camp, Preston, Lancashire

I'm now quite interested in this search, so I'm gonna keep digging. Maybe one day someone will find my ancestor, and close a chapter in my research.

pamelajd
10-09-2007, 9:13 AM
Thanks so much Mike and Mike - I am very grateful for me the suggestions and links. I will get stuck into some research. Cheers

Mike_E
27-09-2007, 9:48 PM
One of the listed names was Theo Frank, I found an Unteroffizier Theo Frank, who died in 1942, and is buried in Cannock Chase. Could this be your man??

He's in Block 3 Reihe 10 Grab 297 (Block 3, row 10, grave 297)

http://www.fylde.demon.co.uk/cannock.htm

Cannock Chase as it is now, with its steeply-rising, pine-covered slopes, is very reminiscent of parts of Germany and this is why, in 1964, it was chosen as the site of the Deutscher Soldatenfriedhof - the cemetery which now contains the bodies of all German servicemen who died in the UK during both world wars. The cemetery was built by the German War Graves Commission, with grant aid provided by the Federal Republic of Germany. Today, the care of the cemetery is in the hands of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. The cemetery lies along both sides of small valley, the neatly-kept grass and orderly rows of graves contrasting effectively with the random positions of the native birch-trees which grew there before the cemetery was laid out.