PDA

View Full Version : Death of James John Harvey

terryharvey2005
04-09-2007, 10:26 AM
I am looking for information on the death of James John Harvey. Born 1858 St George in the East. I can find him up to the 1901 Census when his surname is spelt as Harrey and is living at 52 Sage street London.By 1918 he is given as deceased on his sons Marriage Certificate. I Cant seem to find his death. Any help would be welcome

Regards

Pam Downes
04-09-2007, 6:14 PM
First question in a case like this is - exactly where have you looked for the death registration? If you looked on FreeBMD, remember that it is only a partial transcription of the GRO Index, so you must look through the complete GRO Index.
Secondly, if you have looked at FreeBMD, you will realise that there are lots of James Harveys. Not so many with John as a second name, but depending on who registered the death he may have been registered just as James. (Or possibly John James, or even John.) Some of them you can eliminate because of their age. Some of them you can't eliminate because of their age because, again, depending on who registered the death, the age given may be incorrect. (Or the GRO could have done their usual and made a mistake in either entering the information, or mistranscribing it when they went from a handwritten register to a typed one. e.g. 38 instead of 53, 47 instead of 71).
If James lived in the same registration district till 1901 then chances are that he died there, especially if his son lived and married there, but again you can't assume that he did.
You also can't assume that he is in fact dead. If the son had fallen out with the dad, or if dad was in the workhouse or a mental institution, then the son could could quite easily say 'he's dead' without anyone demanding proof.
You could search for a will. Otherwise I think it's one of those 'wait till the 1911 census comes out' to see if he's still alive in 1911.
Sorry, not exactly the sort of help you wanted, but the best I can suggest. :)
Pam

terryharvey2005
05-09-2007, 8:11 AM
Thank You Pam

I had not considered that he may not be dead when the marriage cert says he was deceased. It is easy to think that the family were all happy together.
I have looked in the GRO and discounted many due to age. I will have to take a punt on a few and see what comes up.

regards

Terry