PDA

View Full Version : Look up please Shirley Ashbourne

jeanburton
03-09-2007, 9:08 PM
I am looking for William Harrison b Shirley Ashbourne 1857.
He married Fanny Foster in 1877 in Derby.
They moved back to the area because all of their children where b Longlane Brailsford.
I cannot find him on the 1861 or 71 census.
Looking for father who I think was named Charles.
Thanks Jean

janbooth
04-09-2007, 8:54 AM
Jean,

This looks as if it could be William in the 1871 census of Hollington, Derbyshire on RG10/3596, folio 49, page 19. Not a lot of help to you because he is described as a 13 year old Servant in the household of Thomas COXEN? a Farmer.

Janet

janbooth
04-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Jean,

Sorry, I was interrupted in my search for your William and had to log off. So far, I have been unable to trace him in the 1861 census. However, I note on Hugh Wallis's IGI site that a baptism took place in Shirley of a Thomas William HARRISON on 27 September 1857, father Charles mother Hannah. Is this your William do you think?? There are then 2 further baptisms in Shirley of a John HARRISON on 1 May 1864 and an Alfred Edward HARRISON on 11 January 1867 but this time the mother is shown as Sarah Ann. Looking at FreeBMD via Ancestry there is the marriage of a Charles HARRISON at Ashbourne reg district in the March qtr 1857, vol 7b page 635 and one of the other names on the page is that of a Hannah OFFELOW. There is then a subsequent marriage at Ashbourne in the December qtr 1862 vol 7b page 885 of a Charles HARRISON to a Sarah Ann GREGSON. This fits in very well with the above baptisms I have given you. There is also a death registration for a Hannah HARRISON at Ashbourne in the September qtr 1860 vol 7b, page 247.

I then looked on the 1851 census of Shirley and came up with the following:

HO107/2146, folio 91, page 10
Schedule 38

William HARRISON Head Mar 52 Ag Lab Derby Foston
Ellen do Wife Mar 52 Worker of lace do Yeaveley
Charles do Son Un 21 Farm Labourer do Yeldersley
Eliza do Daur Un 17 Worker in lace do do
Sarah do Daur Un 14 do do do

and next house but one

Schedule 40

Thomas OFFILOW Head Mar 50 Farm Labourer Derby Shirley
Sarah do Wife Mar 48 Worker in lace do Marston
Hannah do Daur Un 18 do do Shirley
Daniel do Son 12 Scholar do do

Using the info above I then looked for a Thomas William HARRISON born circa 1857 and came up with the following in the 1861 census:

RG9/2519, folio 60, page 5
Schedule 16, Cottage, Rodsley

Thomas HOFFELOW Head Mar 61 Laboror Ag Derby Shirley
Sarah do Wife Mar 60 do Wife do Roston
David do Son Un 23 Agricultural Labourer do Shirley
Thomas HARRISON Grandchild 4 Daughter's son do Rodsley
Elizabeth do Grandchild 1 do do Rodsley

I looked through the 1861 census via Ancestry of Shirley and there are no HARRISONs shown there and also there is no Charles nor a William HARRISON in Hollington in the 1861. In fact I can't find Charles at all in the 1861 census nor on subsequent census records.

Have you ordered William's marriage certificate because this should tell you whether his father is a Charles or not? You can order online from www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/. According to FreeBMD the marriage was registered at Derby in June qtr of 1877 vol 7b, page 800. If William's father is shown as Charles then I think your best idea would be to order the parish records of Shirley from your local LDS Family History Centre and look through them there to see if the Thomas William above is the only baptism of a HARRISON circa 1857 and follow the records through to see if you can find out what happened to Charles or to visit Derbyshire Record Office at Matlock (don't know if this is a practical proposition for you though).

Hope this helps.

Janet

Offley
25-09-2007, 9:35 PM
I am looking for William Harrison b Shirley Ashbourne 1857.
He married Fanny Foster in 1877 in Derby.
They moved back to the area because all of their children where b Longlane Brailsford.
I cannot find him on the 1861 or 71 census.
Looking for father who I think was named Charles.
Thanks Jean

Hi Jean I have posted a reply to you person to person
Offley

Offley
03-10-2007, 4:41 PM
Could you please go to OFFLEY to find information I posted. Your William Harrison is part of our family tree.
Thanks
(Yvonne) Offley